HD replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jefferyd32, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Jefferyd32 macrumors regular

My two year old MBP just gave me the universal do not enter sign at startup. I booted up with a disk, but couldn't repair the HD via disk utility. I am guessing I'll be replacing my HD. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I am not much of a hw replacing kind of guy, so I am guessing I'll just take it to the Apple store and see what they can do. Any ideas on cost? I could also use the local Mac Store, as it is more convenient. Anyone else gone down this road.

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You can easily do it yourself by removing the bottom plate and then just swapping the old hard drive for a new one. It'll be WAY cheaper than Apple (unless you have Applecare).

Any drive on this page should work - just get something with decent reviews and enough space for your needs. For reference, a 250GB HDD is only $35.

3. davidlv, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

davidlv macrumors 65816

Replacing the drive yourself (does not invalidate the warrenty) will save you a lot of money, and it is fairly easy. Proper care when removing the fragile SATA drive cable is a must, but easy. And you need the proper tools, a #00 philips head screwdriver for the tiny screws on the back (put each back in the original place) and the bracket holding the HD in place, and a Torx #6 for removing the lugs on the side of the HD and putting them on the new HD. Shop for a 2.5" SATA drive at OWC (international shipping available) or newegg if you're in the States. OWC also has videos for removing the HD as does iFixit.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/
    http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/Mac
    The iFixit page for the MBP has a Replacing the HD item, but they suggest removing the battery, which I do not think is necessary (Do not try replacing the HD while the computer is asleep! Turn it off first.)
    :cool::apple::cool:

4. Jefferyd32 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

When I go to purchase a HD (I'll probably just hit up Best Buy) Is there anything I need to worry about? Size, etc. . . can I just buy a laptop HD and assume it will fit? Seems like a dumb question, but since I am doing this myself for the first time, just want to make sure I cover all my bases.