HD seems to have failed, installed new one but new problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by `mishimasan`, Aug 28, 2009.

1. `mishimasan` macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I bought a new HD from online for the MacBook Pro since mine had apparently died. The reasons for me buying a new HD were that when I started the MacBook Pro I saw the Apple logo and then some weird noises, quiet noises coming from around the left side of the MacBook Pro, kinda like a HD trying to access data but failing. Then I saw the stop sign shortly after the apple sign (a circle with a line through it) and then nothing happened.

I followed this tutorial to the T: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2119532,00.asp

Basically, I installed the new HD correctly, and it all starts up - it shows the broken folder icon when I start with no installation DVD in the drive which is apparently normal when installing a new HD.

HOWEVER, when I put the installation DVD in the drive and start, or start holding C, it shows the Apple logo, then I hear the DVD drive spinning like it's loading up OS X... then the loading graphic that shows the animating dots appears for about 1 min and then... the drive slows to a halt and the animation freezes (you know that circle of tiny lines that rotates around - kinda like the Ajax loading icon?)

It's completely silent and shows no sign of recovery. So I have to switch it off at this point.

Could anyone please shed some light on this? I really want to get this up and running again!!!!!

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks guys :apple:

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

How long did you wait? It takes MUCH longer to boot from restore DVD than HDD. A few minutes for sure.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As the other poster mentioned, boot up the computer holding the c down until you're sure that its booting up off the optical drive and be patient. Bootup on the install disk is much slower

4. `mishimasan` thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. OK then, I will try again. That's so odd - why on earth would we have to hold down C for a few minutes?! lol.

Will let u know how it turns out.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You only need to hold down the c key until you see the Apple logo. If there's no boot volume detected, you'll see the ?-folder.

6. `mishimasan` thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright guys holding down c for longer and waiting longer actually worked. I got the startup screen. So thanks!

However... the installation is so slow. On the terms & conditions the installer just froze. Is this normal???

Pls tell me it is... lol.

I'm trying again as we speak <<

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It shouldn't freeze on terms and conditions. After you accept, choose the volume. If it's a new disk you may have to use disk utilities format/partition and name it.

It will check the DVD and this takes a long time. You can skip it.

It may take up to an hour to load on HDD. Go grab some coffee.

8. `mishimasan` thread starter macrumors newbie

Now it won't even load the installation anymore, no matter how long I hold down C.

What does this sound like to you? A bad drive or a bad DVD... or even something else????

Thanks for the input you're all awesome by the way :)

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Try hitting restart from the menu. If it won't restart, hold down the power button until it restarts.

Press the "c" key until you see the Apple logo and then release. If it booted once, it should start/boot again.