HD size limit for early 2006 MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by /dev/toaster, Jul 23, 2010.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

My wife has one of the original intel MBPs but only has an 80GB drive. On a typical day she has ... get this .. 10MB of space free. So obviously its time to get a new drive for her. She needs a new machine badly but this should help hold things over.

What is the largest drive that I can put in it ? I know I have a 500GB in mine, but its a newer core 2 duo (Non-unibody). I wasn't sure if there was a drive size limit because of the fact that its a 32 bit CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=laptop_hardrive-_-22-136-546-_-Product

Yes, I realize its a 5400rpm drive which is ok, because this machine has very serious overheating issues and currently has a 7200rpm drive. The slower drive should help keep it a bit cooler. ( in theory of course :D )

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there is no hard drive capacity limitation.

3. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Excellent! Thanks :D

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 9.5mm. Thus the biggest HDD you can currently put in there is a 750GB HDD.

5. HailToTheVictor macrumors regular

I put a 200gb in my early '06 MBP, but yea, any size will work. Takes about 15 mins to replace the hardware, but watch out for the screws on the side of the casing, the mountings tend to break easily.

And if you do it, take the time to clean the fans, they are probably full of dust.

6. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have had to clean out the fans a few times already. I have a guy at work helping me with it, he has a lot more experience taking apart MBPs. Hell, he does it a few times a week :D

The one and only time I did it, I accidently put a screw back in the DVI port ... ya, everyone still laughs at me for it. We were never able to remove the screw lol.