HD space filling up while not being used?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by braeburn, Oct 29, 2014.

1. braeburn macrumors member

Give you a brief rundown:

I normally use firefox as my browser but it started to act slow a few days ago so I decided to use safari and see how it performs, both were pretty much slow...I reset both browsers, cleared cache, emptied trash...Firefox is running as fast as it used to but safari is crawling...Decided to do a backup before I lose any data by using Time Machine and having it saved to my external drive...I also ran CCC which I hadn't in some time but thought, why not...

I checked the amount of space on the HD after all said and had 87GB of empty space on a 500GB drive...The last two days however I've received pop up message stating my Mac HD has run out of space, checked the amount of free space and it was down to 24GB...I've always kept my iMac on when I'm at work...I restarted it and came back to 87GB of space, so I'm thinking okay, it should have corrected itself...However today, got the same message and was down to 24GB again...Restarted iMac and came back to 87GB...

Not sure what is causing to use the space...Anyone have any idea or suggestion?

Thanks in advance

2. njhorn macrumors member

njhorn

Dropbox backing up pictures from your phone automatically and then downloading them to your Mac Dropbox folder?

3. braeburn, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

braeburn thread starter macrumors member

Don't have dropbox...Running OS 10.7.5

And since the first post, the free space has dropped to 54GB...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have Time Machine turned on? That uses some space for local snapshots and can misbehave like this.

Run this command in Terminal to list all base folders and space used by each. You will asked for your password and it takes a couple minutes to run. Post the result up here so we can take a look.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

5. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

as well as weasel boy's suggestion try this from a terminal at a reasonably high level directory

Code:
    find . -mtime -1
    that should give you a list of the files that have changed in the last 24 hours.

I've seen it happening with processes crashing and leaving behind large log files.

6. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

Here's the list that came up:

1 /.DocumentRevisions-V100
    1 /.fseventsd
    1 /.Spotlight-V100
    0 /.Trashes
    0 /.vol
    4 /Applications
    1 /bin
    0 /cores
    1 /dev
    1 /home
    4 /Library
    1 /net
    0 /Network
    17 /private
    1 /sbin
    4 /System
    356 /Users
    1 /usr
    1 /Volumes
    383 /
    383 total

----------

JustMartin,

The list is very long to list here...

7. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Are you using any programs (like PhotShop) that use 'scratch disk' space? I had the problem of this sort in Snow Leopard where the scratch disk space was not reconstituted, leaving it using the HD space after the program was closed. I Searched Apple forums, and found a Terminal command that helped.

Along with the HD filling up, I realized none of the upgrades to apps were auto-trashed. They remained in a folder of 'Previous APPS' totaling 20 GB. When I used the Terminal command, everything worked fine afterwards. I have since lost the link. But it's in the Apple forums SOMEWHERE.

8. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice but I don't have Photoshop...I'm still searching for a resolution to my issue...

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not the Time Machine issue I suspected. Everything looks fine in the non-user folders. It does show 356GB total in the /Users folder. Does that sound about right for your personal files?

You can run this command and it will give you that same breakdown for your user folders. Or you can try an app like OmniDiskSweeper to get a graphical view of the space used.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g ~/

10. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

That sounds about right for all my personal files, ie. photos, videos, music, etc...

The empty space on the HD though should be well over 100GB which isn't...

----------

Here's the breakdown for user folders which also looks correct...

1 /Users/iMac//.cache
    1 /Users/iMac//.cups
    1 /Users/iMac//.mono
    0 /Users/iMac//.Trash
    1 /Users/iMac//Applications
    1 /Users/iMac//Applications (Parallels)
    64 /Users/iMac//Desktop
    1 /Users/iMac//Documents
    5 /Users/iMac//Downloads
    1 /Users/iMac//Home
    3 /Users/iMac//iPhone Pics
    30 /Users/iMac//Library
    0 /Users/iMac//Movies
    54 /Users/iMac//Music
    1 /Users/iMac//NEP
    186 /Users/iMac//Pictures
    0 /Users/iMac//Public
    13 /Users/iMac//Videos
    351 /Users/iMac/
    351 total

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The only odd thing I see there is you have 64GB of data on your Desktop? That sound right?

Where exactly are you looking to see how much space is left?

12. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

Basically right click on the Mac's HD and looking at the get info pop up screen for avail space...I don't have much on my desktop other than some folders...

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That first Terminal run showed 383GB used, so you should have around 110GB free. What is get info showing?

So something up on the Desktop then. Try this to pin it down.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g ~/Desktop
    Also, do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Util to run a repair disk. Does that show any errors? From there what does Disk Util show for space used?

14. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

Get info shows 412GB used with 86GB of free space...

I'll do your suggestion later this evening...Thanks and will keep you posted...

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use OmniDiskSweeper to see what's occupying your drive space.

16. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

Did so and most of the space used is the user folder and the total adds up to about 382GB...

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Have you delved deeper into the relevant folder and find the offending folders that can be deleted?

18. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

I did and nothing that stands out of the ordinary and I compared the folders to those on my backup drive and they are the same...