HD Space Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sophokles, Sep 15, 2011.

1. sophokles macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Recently, my HD space has reached its limit. When I retrieve info for "Macintosh HD," it says that my HD capacity is 249.72 GB, and that I have 1.9 GB remaining (i.e., that I have used 247.81 GB).

When I retrieve info for the only user folder on the computer it says that its size is 223 GB. However, when I open the user folder and highlight all the folders within, I add up a total size of about 193 GB. My first question is: where is this additional 30 GB of space being used? Is there a way I can free this up?

Assuming my user folder actually does come out to 223 GB, when I add this to the other four folders on my HD -- 5 GB (System), 7.8 GB (Applications), 8.2 (Library), 4 KB (User Guides and Information) -- it seems there is some discrepancy, though it may be negligible. Am I missing something here as well? Is there a way of cleaning up this data?

Perhaps there is a program which will help keep my system clean and tidy with no extraneous HD space being used? Or maybe this will just take up more HD space. I look forward to any advice!

Thomas

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios