HD Storage Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CSLEWIS-FAN, Jul 5, 2008.

1. CSLEWIS-FAN macrumors newbie

The issue that I am having is that it seems that I am running out of Storage Space on my Hard Drive. I have a 15 MBP with 120GB ... but I currently only have 27GB left. And I am just starting to get more indepth with photo and video via photoshop and final cut express, So I would like to open up some space on my computer to do that with.

Anyway, here is my situation I have a total of approximately 20GB in my Itunes (music, movies, podcasts) ... 12 GB total my iphoto's. Applications take up 4.5 GB ... My Library folder has 26 GB total and I have no idea what any of it is or what it does.... My system folder is 3.5 GB ... My users folders hold 45 GB ...

Can anyone help me to figure out what I can get rid of and what I have to keep in order to keep my computer healthy and running good. I would like to be able to cut space from the Library folder and the user folder, but I really don't know what is going on in there, so I don't want to just go around deleting things. If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Get an external HD for your media?

(or you can always upgarde your internal)

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't know about what applications you have installed, but if there are anything you don't use, you could delete/uninstall them (can be installed later, if required). There's a few good applications which can help, I personally like AppZapper.

And I don't know what applications you use. Personally I've deleted a whole bunch of Apple's default applications such as Chess, Front Row, Stickies, Time Machine, TextEdit (use BBEdit instead), Safari and everything from the "i" suite except iTunes.

You can also use Monolingual to remove all the language you don't use - there are many, i suspect.

Exchanging the HD in the MBP isn't as hard as you might think, just be sure to obtain a good guide, if you have a printer, print it out for reference. Alternatively go search YouTube for a video tutorial - the last thing you need, is to have a half dismantled machine, screws everywhere and out of rage you bend or break something :eek:

The MacBook Pro 15 uses a standard SATA 2.5 inch notebook drive, besure it's 9.5mm. The drive sizes vary from 120GB ~ 500GB. Personally, I have the Western Digital Scorpio 320GB Blue (5400rpm) though there's a Black (7200rpm) available. At the moment only Samsung has the 500GB drive.

Once the HD's been replace, moving your personal files is a matter of drag'n'drop (provided you've housed your old drive in some external case), don't forget to copy the preference files too, together with your address book and user data. However, other uses have used some third party utilities to clone and backup their drives prior to an upgrade.

4. CSLEWIS-FAN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input. I just used Monolingual and it saved me about 1.5 GB, so that was pretty cool. I am definately going to do more research on adding a new interal HD, but I need to do study up on it alot, because that is uncharted waters for me. Way out of my league stuff. I did have another question for you if you get some time to respond. You mentioned that you deleted all the isuite stuff outside of itunes. What apps do you use for creating DVD's. I've always used iDVD because thats what I had. Do you use something different and if so what is it. I am just starting to break into the advancement of FCE, a move up from iMovie and it doesn't have a DVD software like FCP does with DVD Pro. But anyway, I would be interested in what you use for stuff like that. And I"m just going to assume you use Aperture or Lightroom for your photos? Anyway, let me know if you don't mind and thanks for the info on the HD storage, I appreciate it.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If your still looking to free up some more space xslimmer is good, it basically just slims down applications binaries of unwanted code

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Don't quote me but I think Apple's iLife and 'i' suite are aimed at users who just wanna create something simply, without going knee deep into technical applications aimed towards "Pro users". Besides iDVD (consumer level) there are many other other more professional application on the market that will allow the user to be more adventurous and perhaps more serious? But they all come at a cost, we're talking serious figures here!

For example:
    Apple FinalCut Pro (Mac),
    Apple DVD Studio Pro (Mac),
    Adobe Premier (Mac & PC),
    Adobe Encore CS3 (Mac & PC),
    Blu-Print (PC)

and the list goes on....

As to what i use:
    http://osx.iusethis.com/feed/ultraneo

7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for that program, I just freed up 2gb or so of space! :D