HD Streaming

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TheCheapGeek, Mar 27, 2009.

1. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I have two Apple TV's one is hooked up via HDMI and the other is via composite. I am presuming because of HDCP a purchased HD movie from iTunes will not play on the Apple TV connected via composite. Is there a way i can tell that apple tv to grab the SD version. I know i can just drag the sd version into iTunes again making a second entry and stream that, but I would like to eliminate the clutter in iTunes and not have multiple entries. Any one know of a solution? Could i manually sync the SD file to the Apple TV rather than stream the HD one? Any thing will help.

Thanks

2. p.luik macrumors regular

Im sorry I cant help much, but I thought I'd let you know I'm disappointed it doesn't do this on its own. So in case you are frustrated with this, I understand.

3. MacStew macrumors member

Presumably you have SD versions of your HD movies, as you are unlikely to find any solution that will transcode from HD to SD on the fly to Apple TV.

You could install ATV Flash on the composite Apple TV, which would enable you to store your SD files on the Apple TV without them being in iTunes (among other benefits). If you have a large library, ATV Flash supports external USB HDD, so stick all your SD stuff on there with FTP and watch using Sapphire (to get artwork and descriptions etc).

It might be easier in the long run to by an HD TV for use with the 2nd Apple TV...