HD suddenly full

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by kimjohnsson, Jan 28, 2015.

1. kimjohnsson macrumors member

Hi guys!

Just a couple of days ago I (think !) I checked the available space on my HD, and there was plenty, a bit less than half of my 256 GB drive. Now it's suddenly completely full, and I don't understand why. Since last week, I've installed a new version of Logic (no samples) and the latest Yosemite release. I have used CleanMyMac2 to get rid of the obvious stuff, but then there's still the unobvious. And yes, I'm a relative Mac newbie.

According to About This Mac, I have 155 GB of "Other" files, but I have no clue what they are or where they are. HD space for Photos, Audio, Movies, Apps and Backups on the other hand all look quite reasonable.

Here are the stats of the folders directly under my Mac HD, as seen in Finder:

Library: 15 GB
    Applications: 23 GB
    System: 7 GB
    Users: 93 GB

So where's the rest? That's a bit more than half my HD, so it would make sense that a bit less than half of it should still be free.

Help appreciated,

Kim

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Can you show your folder list using the program "disk inventory x"

4. kimjohnsson thread starter macrumors member

Hi there!

Sadly no. My TM backup goes to an external drive.

Cheers,

Kim

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

If you run it with sudo (As shown below), it will include some system files that it woud not normally have access to scan. That is a more accurate representation of what's consuming your drive.
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper
    Another option is to use this terminal command
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

Like the sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper command, it will scan all directories, but produce a text file as opposed to showing the results in a window

btw, since you are using TM, the space consumed could be local snapshots being stored on your drive, even though you have time machine set to an external drive

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

h9826790 is referring to Time Machine's local snapshots that use space in a hidden folder on your drive.

Code:
    sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups
    Run this command in Terminal and tell us what it says. This will show how much space is being used by Time Machine local backups.

7. kimjohnsson thread starter macrumors member

Hah, what a gift peace of software. Apparently I have one 57,6 GB org.chromium.chromoting.log.0 -file, which appears to behave like this occasionally, according to Google.

To the Trash it goes. Thanks for the tip! Next time it happens I'll take a look inside if I find some hints as to what's wrong.

Cheers,

Kim

8. kimjohnsson thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure I wrote "nifty piece of software", but oh well....

Anyway, thanks guys, all very good suggestions. I'm sure I will have use for them later.

Cheers,

Kim

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a frequent user of OmniDisk for OSX, and I use DU for windows (when I'm on my windows machine). Both options provide an excellent snapshot of what's consuming disk space :)

10. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

chrome? good move :D

11. joedec, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

joedec macrumors 6502

joedec

Yup, mobile backup is on by default. I first noticed the Finder shows a different amount of disk than the command line or About this Mac.

If you look at About this Mac, add Backups plus the Free space and you'll get the same size the Finder displays.

The Finder doesn't subtract backup space but shows it as a available, the reasoning is that as soon as its demanded the backup is deleted and that space used by the application requesting the space.

When you backup with Time Machine to your disk, all mobile backups are deleted and everything is back in sync.

12. edache macrumors newbie

700Gb of HD eaten up by chromium

Hi Kim,

How did you delete yours? I have found the culprit, org.chromium.chromoting.log1 file. However, I have tried with no success to delete it. It's just not going anywhere and my disk is full.

Please help! How do I wipe out this?

13. mrj412 macrumors regular