Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkFlame

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
If I have an SSD in one Macbook Pro and buy a brand new Macbook pro, can I simply swap the drive and have an identical computer? I know for windows that won't work, because of drivers and such but--maybe it might for a mac?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
It will work if you have the latest OS version on the old HDD/SSD, thus having 10.6.7 on the old HDD/SSD and inserting it into a Mac coming with 10.6.6, will work.

DarkFlame

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
It will work if you have the latest OS version on the old HDD/SSD, thus having 10.6.7 on the old HDD/SSD and inserting it into a Mac coming with 10.6.6, will work.

How positive are you? I am about to do this actually... I bought my 2011 13" i5 for 1099 (after student discount) and now a local store is selling them for $999. I do not want to waste time reformatting and setting up everything again, but if I could do a simple HD swap I would def. do it.

Steven

Nov 28, 2010
located
How positive are you? I am about to do this actually... I bought my 2011 13" i5 for 1099 (after student discount) and now a local store is selling them for $999. I do not want to waste time reformatting and setting up everything again, but if I could do a simple HD swap I would def. do it.

Steven

Very positive. I can even run a Mac Pro with my MBP's OS, as my Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard version includes all the drivers needed for that Mac Pro.

Thus having 10.6.7 on your old Mac will have you all the drivers needed for the new 2011 MBPs, and you can run Software Update anyway after booting from the old HDD on the new Mac. You can also use Target Disk Mode first to check.

c7aea

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010

Steven

So you want to return the old one? are they exactly the same? Seems kind of excessive and sketchy for $100

DarkFlame

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
So you want to return the old one? are they exactly the same? Seems kind of excessive and sketchy for $100

Its actually only 50 bucks. I'm just pissed apple won't price match me, so I want to walk in there tell them to shove it.

I'm not voiding any warranties, and the HD swap takes less than 5 minutes. Plus, I can use MY credit card this time (as opposed to my GFs cause she got all the reward points) and I get an additional 12 days on my warranty

hahaha, im kidding, im a stickler because I believe in great customer service. The manager knows very well I'm the ONLY one that'll walk in there and ask for a pricematch from this place so why not do the damn credit on my account? It is absurd.

c7aea

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
Your correct your not voiding any warrantee. Just keep in mind any time you open a computer you risk damaging something. And you want to open 2. Ground yourself good 1st

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.