HD swaps MBP -> MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by butch10x, Feb 23, 2012.

1. butch10x macrumors regular

ok, so heres the low down.

i bought a 250gb ssd to install in my mabook pro. After seeing the awesome performance, I decided i wanted to replace my mac pro with a ssd too. However, i decided to buy a 120gb ssd, reason being that i would clone my ssd in the macbook pro to the new 120gb ssd and use the 250gb ssd that was in my macbook pro in my mac pro.

hope you are still following.

Now, my macbook pro had the new OSX Lion on it, while my mac pro had snow leopard.

I cloned the 250 to the 120 just fine as i wasnt using more than 80gb on the 250. It works perfect in my macbook pro.

I was curious to see if the LION OSX that was on the macbook pro 250gb HD would work in my mac pro. Yo my surprise, it works good so far.

My question is, is this ok to do? Do I need anything off the Snow Leopard that was originally installed on the oem hard drive? Is it even legal? Im thinking off doing a clean install of the Snow leopard over the LION that i have to save me future problems that may occur.

If anyone has any input on this, that would be FAB!

Thanks in adv.

2. FranzyPants macrumors newbie

you should be fine running that 250GB SSD in your Mac Pro. OS X comes with all hardware drivers installed on the SSD. So even though I'm running on a Mac Pro with an oem hard drive, I still have the graphics drivers for a mac book pro. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to reinstall Lion on your Mac Pro, but since you're on an SSD and want to minimize the amount of block read/writes, I'd say it's fine to keep the SSD as is in your Mac Pro.