Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I recently bought an HD Camcorder and hen I first played around with it I could convert the movies and put them on my AppleTV and in the menu they had a little "HD" icon next to it. Now however I can't seem to get that to appear again. I am filming in HD so it must be something I am doing when importing/exporting the movie on imovie. Can anyone tell me how I get this to work again?

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
Revision 141 of mp4v2 is now able to write the atom that iTunes looks for to add the HD logo to a movie, TV show or music video. However combining a SD and a HD version to one entry doesn't work yet.

Usage:
To add the tag:
./mp4tags -H 1 <filename>

To remove the tag:
./mp4tags -r H <filename>

You check whether the flag is set or not with:
./mp4info <filename>

Please note that this is the current development Version of mp4v2, so problems are expected. Please make a backup of any files before you touch them with mp4tags.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I have made several posts on creating the HD tag as well at the HD-SD tag in itunes at my blog. http://bit.ly/iybkc

The HD tag on the Apple TV is generated by the Apple TV based on the resolution of the file. So any video file with a vertical resolution greater than 540 lines will generate the HD logo on the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.