HD that does NOT have SMS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohla313, May 19, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I recently went through the hassle of upgrading my MBP 13" with WD Scorpio Blue 1 TB drives and got vibration and clicking due to conflicts with the Sudden Motion Sensor in the Mac and the ShockGuard in the drive.

I really want to upgrade my drive to at least 500GB. What drive out there is reliable and doesn't have shockguard/SMS that could conflict with the MBP's SMS? I was thinking maybe the stock drive? I wish I could go for a 750GB drive but so far I only see WD has it.

Thanks!

2. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I've been running the 1 TB drive in my MBP i7 for two weeks at least now. Not a peep from the thing. Your problem isn't the SMS, it must be something else.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Wouldn't it just be easier (and cheaper) to disable your SMS?

To answer your question, Apple ships with Seagate Momentus. Any Momentus without the "G" at the end of the model number will not have the shock protection.

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

i have no idea how to disable my SMS and others have reported issues with the drive as well. Maybe it is some other issue but I am unable to pinpoint it.

THe stock drive in mine is a Hitachi, is it the travelstar? Is Hitachi or Seagate a more stable drive?

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

From apple:

I would try that first, before you waste money on a new HDD. As long as you disable the SMS, you shouldn't have a problem.

6. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

well I don't have the drive with me anymore. I returned the 1 TB drive and am in the market for a bigger drive. 160GB is a bit too restricting for me, I feel 500GB is just right for me anyways. I don't want to have to go into terminal and change things when I don't need to. I figured the best solution would be to find a drive that is like the stock drive in the MBP I have since it is so quiet and sturdy. So do i go with Hitachi (my stock) or seagate?

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Using the terminal isn't really a big deal; type a few commands and bingo, seconds of your life spent if that; if you learn how to use the terminal you can make your OS X experience way better.

As far as HDs go, get either a Hitachi TravelStar 7K500 if you want a 7200RPM drive, if you want a 5400RPM drive go for a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB (model: WD5000BEVT); avoid seagate as their drives tend to have noise/vibration problems and have a higher than average failure rate these days.

8. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

strange how when I had the 1TB drive no one mentioned that I turn off the SMS when I posted here complaining about vibration/clicking issues. Wish I still had the drive to test it out on! Do many people who install the 1TB drive turn off the SMS in the MBP?

If I were to go with 500GB drive, I would probably skip the WD because of its ShockGuard and how it can conflict with the MBP's SMS. So i'd prefer a drive without any shock protection as the MBP would take care of it.

9. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

To be honest I didn't even know the 1TB fit in the MBPs; thought it was the larger 12mm form factor that apparently doesn't fit in these machines.

Hitachi drive has SMS to. Fact is you'll be quite hard pressed to find a Laptop drive you would actually want to use that doesn't come with SMS on the drive. Shipping a laptop drive without SMS is a pretty bad idea. Not all drive SMS interferes with the one on the MBP; even if it does though, honestly it's an easy terminal command you can copy/paste and your problem goes away. Many people have had the WD drive I suggested in MBPs with no issues (While not a MBP, I installed one in my moms MacBook and it runs with no problems at all).

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying all these drives have built in SMS? I thought that SMS was nonexistent if not enabled on a software level.

11. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

SMS as in Sudden Motion Sensor is an Apple created thing (lenovo uses APS in some of its machines, Acer uses GraviSense, ShockGuard on WD drives, Gforce on seagate you get the idea). When I say SMS I mean the drives own anti-shock features; but yes the way I understand it these drives do have their own motion detecting onboard.

12. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

So all drives that have shock protection on a hardware level utilize it whether SMS is enabled or not?

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

From what I understand yes; thus issues people are having being solved by turning off Apple's SMS. Though I could be totally wrong (and probably am to a certain extent).

14. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Interesting. I would test it and see if the noise I've been hearing really is the SMS activating, but to do that I'd have to shake the MBP a bit, which could potentially do some damage that SMS would have otherwise prevented :D

kind of a catch 22

15. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thats strange how no one mentioned to turn off apple's SMS to me! I drove myself crazy trying to figure what went wrong with my MBP. I am now very tempted to repurchase the drive and give it another go and turning off SMS. But will the drive be safe since the ShockGuard technology is in effect?

16. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

It's odd to me you had this problem too. My 1TB installed perfectly with no messing around with terminal or SMS settings. And to the other poster, all Unibody MB take 12.5mm drives I think.

I couldn't live without at least 1TB, when they release a 2TB I'll probably get that too... I have hundreds of iTunes TV shows I need to store..

17. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Yeah. I JUST replaced my seagate for a scorpio yesterday due to the horrid noise of the seagates. AVOID!

Im using a scorpio blue w/ shock protection (with no SMS) and its working fine!

18. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Scorpio Blues click and rattle like mad. I've a 320Gb one in my MacBook Pro (the SSD ran out of room). I have a 160GB one in my Dell Mini 10v. I have a few in Dell laptops at work. They all click and rattle and vibrate.

I've got a 320GB Seagate 7200.4 sitting on my desk to go in to the MacBook Pro - hopefully it'll be quicker and quieter.

19. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

strange. Ive had the exact opposite experience.

20. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

If you don't mind, what is the installation process for you? How do you install and set up the drive? I want to see if I did anything wrong. man, it'd be great if someone documented and photographed their hard drive upgrades to 1TB..

21. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

And yet my drive is wisper quiet.

22. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

It's pretty straight forward for anyone with a brain, and it's no different then for any other drive.

1. remove the bottom Panel

2. Remove the four screws and bracket holding the drive.

3. Transfer the four screws in the sides of the stock drive to the new one ( you did this right?)

4. Reinstall the bracket screws and bottom panel.

5. Boot from the restore DVD that comes with your computer and format with drive utility, and install OS X.

That's all from memory.

23. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I did ALL that EXACTLY the same. this drives me even more crazy as to how it works for some and not me. I checked numerous guides and followed everything exactly. I used the OWC install video as reference.

24. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

This is puzzling to me as well.

25. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313