HD TV or HD Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ClemsonDV, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ClemsonDV macrumors member

I am wanting to redo our entertainment center and use Apple TV's for my viewing pleasure. Then turn my Mac Mini HTPC into an actual desktop Mac. In doing so I need a monitor or HDTV. Just looking at prices, they seem decently close. But i wanted to know if anyone has preference (if same size) on which they choose. The one thing about a TV is I can use it else if my tastes change again. Not sure about the monitor.

Any advice helps. Thanks.

2. El Hikaru macrumors regular

My apology not to answer directly to your question.

The advantage of TV is the size.
    I bought 60' TV and very happy followed some buying guide from CNET and others that saying size matters.

Monitor has multiple connection other than HDMI. Unless you use the monitor for arts work, some decent quality 27' monitor should make you happy enough.

You have to have a monitor for your computer. Buy one if you don't have one, other wise, TV should make you more entertained.

3. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

I have dual monitors on my Mac Mini - both Vizio HD TV's. (occasionally I add a third, USB monitor when I need some extra 'space.')

Very happy with the TV's. They work great, and sound good.

2¢.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

60' (!)
    Well, yes for 60 feet, I guess size does matter...
    Where did you mount that wonder (and how far away do you sit to even see it? :D

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

For desktop purposes, you want to stick to 20-23" at 1080P. That can be a bit tougher in the Television market simply because most of the 22ish" monitors are 720P which would be absolutely crap for Desktop use. Anything over 23" at 1080P and the pixels become too large for a good desktop use.

Remember a TV is meant for watching form a distance, so the size of pixels really does not matter because you won't see individual pixels if sitting back 10'. A desktop where you are 2'-3' from the monitor, pixel size matters. 27" 1080P or larger is awful for desktop use.

I rarely recommend a TV as a desktop monitor. There are a few monitors with tuners (see Samsung) and they get marginal reviews, but if you really are looking for a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type Television/Monitor combo I recommend looking at the Samsungs then.

Such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001810

6. danny_w macrumors 601

I just bought a Sharp 32" 1080p TV to use as a monitor for both my Mac Mini and for my work Win7 laptop while at home. I use the HDMI inputs for both computers. Works fine for what I want, but I'm 61 and my eyesight is not great, so I wanted large text that I could see easily; I often run 720p for the larger text and it works great for me. YMMV.

7. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I would echo the point about tv's at 720 at the typical desktop monitor size, that has been my experience but perhaps the tv I tired is too old and newer ones are 1080. My mini is alternately connected to 22 monitor (work) or 50 tv at 1080 (pleasure) both are great. I tried a small tv on desktop and it was inferior for work use but that could have been as it was 720.