HD tv questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trainguy77, Nov 11, 2007.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So i am looking into buying a 50" plasma TV it will be my first HD TV. So i am looking at the panasonic TH50PZ77. What are your guys thoughts? Are upscaling DVD players a must have? Could i get that a little later after i have the TV? Will standard definition cable look ok on it? I know it won't look great, but ok?

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I can't speak to the specific model you're looking at but I'll address what I can about the other issues.

Plasma is a solid way to go unless it is going in a really bright room. The glass used in plasmas will create a lot of glare. They really work best in darker rooms.

An upscaling DVD isn't a requirement but i would suggest dropping a couple hundred dollars on a combo DVD player/home theater system. The sound system will really create a complete experience. Even if you have to lose a few inches on the TV to get the sound, do it.

Standard def looks decent, until you get used to HD content. It is an absolute travesty not to get HD content for the HD tv. Of course, after you see some HD content on your new tv you'll want as much as you can get.

Good luck.

3. doobi18 macrumors 6502

in my opinion go pioneer all the way - without doubt the worlds best plasmas

get a nice 50" screen
    add a upscaling DVD player for about $150
    add a good reciever - your call how powerful you go
    add a nice set of speakers - once again your call

some people go with the "home theater package" and im sure that works fine too

4. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

The pioneer seems way more expensive. Atleast the ones on bestbuy.ca

And i plan on setting up a surround sound system as well. I have one in my room connected to my mac pro, and i love it. The dual 10" subs in my room are great! But i have enough knowledge to sort that out.