HD TV shows play on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by camarobh, Sep 9, 2008.

1. camarobh macrumors 6502

Will HD TV shows in iTunes 8 sync to my iPhone (yes I know they are very large). Right now I can watch my content on either of my two Apple TVs, my iPhone, or my iMac. If I can't sync HD TV shows to my iPhone does that mean I have to buy two versions of every show?

Do you think that perhaps 2.1 will enable this?

Thanks.

2. crsd36 macrumors member

3. camarobh thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope that's right. My first try didn't work, so I am hoping that the 2.1 update on Friday does the trick. Thanks.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

When you buy an HDTV show you also get an SD version included too.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

lol whats the point of viewing 1080p videos on a iPhone with such a small screen and resolution

6. reliantj macrumors 6502

video out?

7. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

That certainly is a nice feature, but do you think Apple really wants to shell out for all that extra bandwidth? Who wants two versions of videos in your library. I'm thinking the iPhone may support playback of HD video with the 2.1 update. :(

8. wreckshop macrumors 6502

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

10. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Yeah, no. A mac mini can barely handle 1080p with a Core 2 Duo.

11. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

basically, no, iphone / ipods cannot play the HD tv shows and a low res does not dl with the high-res one. Also bare in mind if you were able to sync HD vids (as to have 1 library of vids) the extra processing power would take a much larger toll on the battery.

12. redman042 macrumors 68020

Personally I think playing HD video on the iPhone would be stupid. A waste of memory, processing power, battery life, you name it. Yes I know TV-out would be one reason but IMO that's trying to do too much with the phone. There are better more efficient ways to play HD video on a TV.

I have about 2500 songs in my iTunes library and that already limits me to loading a small number of SD movies on my 16 GB iPhone. I'm not going to start trying to play 4 GB HD movies on it or even waiting the long time it would take to sync a file that size to the phone.

13. camarobh thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually a standard definition version DOES download with the HD version purchased on iTunes. iTunes is even smart enough to know which version to sync to the Apple TV (HD) and to the iPhone (standard definition version).

Yes, that means duplicate copies in your iTunes library, but the standard definition version is free with the HD version, and I can continue to watch content on my iMac, iPhone, or Apple TV, and hard drive space is cheap.

14. threezero macrumors 6502

until the iphone can do hdmi or component out its just not worth your while.

15. camarobh thread starter macrumors 6502

The point of the original question is retaining my ability to view my content on all my devices, as I can now. If I had to purchase both the HD and standard definition versions that wouldn't be good. I was hoping that iTunes would be smart enough to down-convert the HD content to something the iPHone could play. The solution that I discovered already exists (iTunes downloads both versions when you purchase the HD version) takes more space, but it works.

16. camarobh thread starter macrumors 6502

The iPhone can do component out. It can do the standard video/audio L+R out, as well as red/blue/green and audio L+R out (two different cables sold by Apple).

17. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

hhmm, strange, mine didnt download a low res version, maybe cause it was a free one?

18. barryallott macrumors member

I think the iphone MIGHT be able to play 1080p videos but there is no way it would survive 2 hours on full and I mean full CPU + full GPU. the power drain would be immense!. Remember that if you get a 1080p movie and play it at home it will run fine on a pentium 4 but if you add DRM and encryopt it you need a massive CPU along with either a specialst chip or a graphics card to help out. I would think that apple will also have DRM on the files meaning that you might need a decent system to play these so I would say the iPhone is out.

Also in 1080P a move is 8GB so a show about 2Gb. so not many shows will fit

19. barryallott macrumors member

and again as mentioned above the only valid reason for wanting HD on the iPhone is for video out and I dont think they will do it all for that as not many people use it.

20. ballen420 macrumors 6502

I downloaded the free copies of The Office and Heroes and both the SD and HD versions downloaded with the single click.

21. Detrius macrumors 68000

There appears to be a bug with this and the shopping cart feature. I attempted to get the free HD episode of Heroes yesterday. The shopping cart said it was unavailable, but the episode downloaded when I clicked "buy all." I thought the resolution was a bit low, but it was vertically 480 pixels, so I just thought it was insanely lame that they were calling this "High Definition," (just like their claim of "surround sound").

Now that I see this argument, I went back and checked... same thing with the shopping cart. I turned off the shopping cart and turned on one-click, and viola! BOTH the HD episode and the SD episode are downloading, and the HD episode is 1.64GB, while the episode I downloaded yesterday was only 640MB. Therefore, it appears that HD is broken when using the shopping cart and that we are *all* mistaking the increased SD quality as "High Definition."

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I bought the HD version of BSG season 4.0. Both HD and SD versions came with the purchase.

23. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think 720p video would look great on the iPhone, especially since I crop most movies and TV shows I watch. The SD content is compressed at a mediocre quality, at best. If you encode the videos yourself from a great source, then it looks really good on the iPhone, and at a lot of times, great. There would be a huge difference between SD and HD on the iPhone, despite the fact that it's only a 3.5" screen at 480x320. Movies can start to look washed-out on the iPhone up close when cropped in, having it in 720p would fix that and then some. I wouldn't mind watching HD videos on my iPhone, the battery life should still hold up pretty well. The better quality would be worth taking up so much extra space, at least to me.

24. wreckshop macrumors 6502

the reason you won't see HD video on iphone is because it doesnt have anywhere near the power to decode it unless it was seriously bit starved.

Seriously, some of you guys who think a 424mhz single core mobile CPU that can't even run multiple phone apps at the same time has enough horsepower to decode a 1080p stream when dual core 2GHZ desktop class CPU can't really need to use a little bit of common sense.

25. barryallott macrumors member

If you read my post before this one I say that the iPhone prob does not have the power. There are software codecs outthere that are very quick and do not need a powerfull processor take CoreAVC. but yes I agree. HD + iPhone are not really made for each other and HD on iPhone is as pointless as a choc kettle.