HD TV through MB Pro video out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danimals, Jul 22, 2010.

1. danimals macrumors newbie

I'm curious about the picture quality I would get watching video, both streaming and files, on a 50" HD TV through a MacBook Pro video out. I've got a nice Pioneer Kuro monitor (1080p) and I see that the Pros support up to 2560 by 1600 resolution going out, so I reckon it would be fine in that regard. Would my main issue be in the speed/quality of any streaming video? I'm hoping to kill my cable TV feed and just go with netflix, MLB.TV etc. Would the nicer video card in the >15" models make a big difference in this regard? I also have a PS3, so would probably try to utilize its media server streaming functions when possible, i.e. video files. Thanks for any insights from your own experience or otherwise.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the content is streaming in 360p/ 480p, 720p or 1080i/p, then you will see it on the TV as it would appear on the built in screen. The Mini Display Port is fast enough to display any current signal (8.64Gbit/s = 1.08GB/s).

The weak link is the internet connection and the CPU if the 1080p content is using Flash.

The GPU is also sufficient for that use, playing video files or streaming it via Flash or other embedded formats.

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

3. danimals thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks much for the helpful reply. Is the GPU then sufficient on both the 13" or 15" line for this? Either GPU would suffice for this and any weak link would occur due to internet transmission rate? Thanks again.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 320M should be capable of displaying 1080p/i content, even if embedded in Flash.

5. danimals thread starter macrumors newbie