Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harryt223

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Just wondering. Is it possible to connect the MBP to a HDTV for display? I do video editing and it would be nice to see it on a bigger screen, before I show it in classes etc..

Just wondering if it's possible or not? and if so, what would I need?

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Yes, it is. Most HDTV's have an HDMI connection. You can buy a DVI to HDMI cable or a converter. Your MBP should detect the screen, and should be able to drive it up to its maximum resolution.

Harryt223

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Yes, it is. Most HDTV's have an HDMI connection. You can buy a DVI to HDMI cable or a converter. Your MBP should detect the screen, and should be able to drive it up to its maximum resolution.

I know the MBP's came with a wire.. I haven't used it yet.. would that directly go into the HDTV.. or do I need to buy a converter to convert it to a proper port for the HDTV?

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
I know the MBP's came with a wire.. I haven't used it yet.. would that directly go into the HDTV.. or do I need to buy a converter to convert it to a proper port for the HDTV?

I am guessing that the wire you are referring to is a DVI to VGA adapter. What this does is allow you to connect your laptop to computer monitors. That being said, some TVs are now made with VGA inputs, if that is the case, all you need is to plug in the DVI->VGA adapter, then plug a VGA cable into the adapter on one end and the TV on the other. If your TV does not have VGA, it probably had HDMI. In this situation, you can either use a cable that has DVI on one end and HDMI on the other end. OR, you can get a DVI to HDMI adapter, plug it into you MBP and plug a HDMI cable from the adapter to the tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.