HD upgrade question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bloodycape, Sep 9, 2007.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I am thinking about upgrading my hd, but I want to keep everything and I mean everything on the OSX side of it. So how would I go about ghosting my OSX side of my HD and transferring it to a new HD and making it all work? I do have a external enclosure I can use, but should I be putting the new hd in the enclosure, ghost the current hd, and then install the new HD?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Either use Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper! They will create an exact, bootable clone of one drive to another.

3. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Perfect, so all I would do is, hook up the new drive to the external enclosure and use one of those softwares. Then install the new hd and its all good? So which is more accurate and better?

4. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Don't know which is better. I did it the other way: Put the new drive in the MBP then the old one in the external FW800 enclosure and CCC'd the OS and all data from there to the internal drive. Worked perfectly. You just have to switch the boot drive.

It seems to be regardless which way you choose. It works in any direction :)

5. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

6. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

should I be looking at SATA or IDE hard drives?

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

SATA. Mine's a 2.33 17" and has a SATA drive in it. Go to System Profiler and check under Hardware>Serial-ATA

Hope that enclosure of yours takes SATA drives.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

SATA. IDE drives will not work at all. You need a SATA 2.5", 9.5mm tall drive.

Edit to add: I assumed we are talking about the MBP here. The iBook is probably IDE but you'd need to check...

9. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes this is for the mbp. If I upgrade to a new hd will the hd drop sensor still work?