HD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CanadianEh, Jan 22, 2009.

1. CanadianEh macrumors member

Recently upgraded my Macbook from 160 GB to 320 GB. Once I upgraded, I put my original drive in a SATA enclosure. The drive spins but my Macbook does not recognize anything. Both drives has the same volume name. Does that matter? When I was cloning, both drives also had the same volume name. Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. techster82 macrumors member

Sounds like you need to reformat that drive as its setup as a boot drive right now. Do a reformat and name it something like "Storage". That should get your computer to recognize it just fine.

3. CanadianEh thread starter macrumors member

When I hook it up, nothing comes up on my Macbook so I have nothing to select when using the disk utility. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

did you try using the os disc and booting off that and then using the diskutility to reformat?

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Er, no. Just because the drive is a boot drive doesn't mean it needs to be reformatted.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be recognized. If they have the same name (e.g. Macintosh HD) the external should show up as Macintosh HD (2) ... I think. I have tried this and don't have an external drive here.

Actually, what exactly do you mean by "not recognized". Edit: Ok just saw your second post.

Edit: if it's not showing up in Disk Utility, it could be the enclosure's at fault.

6. CanadianEh thread starter macrumors member

I used the enclosure during the cloning process and the drive is spinning. I guess I'll have to swap out the drives to see if the enclosure still works with the new 320. Thanks.

7. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog