HD upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amnichols10, May 5, 2009.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

was looking to upgrade the HD in my MacBook and was wondering which would be the best website to get it from. I tried newegg but I couldn't find anything.

I'm look for one that I could install in the macbook itself as opposed to getting an external.

Any suggestions?

2. lucamacis macrumors member

If your in the uk go for eBuyer. Good service, prices and reliability. Lots of different drives to choose from too. Otherwise you can't really go wrong with Amazon.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Any 2.5" SATA 9.5mm drive will work. newegg has loads of them. I recommend getting a decent sized one (250+ GB). If you don't mind a little extra vibration and a tad less battery life, than a 7200RPM drive is a winner as its much faster than a 5400RPM drive.

4. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I'll be following you on twitter to see what other things you know about apple :)

Thanks. My friend told me about the RPMs also. Appreciate it.

5. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I use OWC. www.macsales.com

I've been very happy with the product availability, delivery, and pricing.

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I have also heard good things about OWC. They have good "kits" that include an external enclosure to reuse you old drive. I think their enclosures are pricy (I was looking at the firewire ones) but you get what you pay for.

I got my 500 gig WD scorpio from newegg for $99. They have cheaper ones but I like the WD. At newegg, follow a trail something like this; computer hardware / harddrives / laptop drives.

7. WorldTravel26 macrumors newbie

WorldTravel26

I would agree, Newegg has really good prices for their hard drives.

You can get a Western Digital, 2.5 SATA, 320GB, 7200RPM internal drive for $79.99! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280 . . . By the way, this is the exact same model I put in my Macbook, and it's SUPER quiet and fast! :D

8. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

you linked to a 3.5" Caviar drive. He needs a 2.5" drive.

9. rpang macrumors member

I installed a WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200rpm drive last night. Everything seems so much faster. However, I do notice a tiny bit of vibration on palm rest area now. It wasnt there before with the stock 5400rpm drive.

Is this normal due to the drive being 7200rpm? Or should I exchange it?

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Quite normal.

11. Ejg94 macrumors newbie

amazon.co.uk/overclockers.co.uk/ebuyer.co.uk all are pretty mint for computer parts any 2.5inch sata works i think

12. WorldTravel26 macrumors newbie

WorldTravel26

Thanks for catching that :p. I updated the link and the price in my original post.