HD upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by go5gaited, Oct 14, 2009.

1. go5gaited macrumors newbie

Posted earlier that I was planning on getting a refurb 17" MBP. I want an SSD. Do you think I'd be better off buying a refurb with the SSD or get a cheaper computer and upgrading to SSD myself?

I've never changed a HD before so do you think a newbie can do it? I'm not afraid of taking things apart, it's the putting it back together that gets me. :D

Last dumb question: if I upgrade SSD myself, I'll have to install OS myself but then it will be like starting from scratch, right? In other words, as long as I don't install anything on the existing HD, it would be the same as the above situation. Hope I made sense with that.

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It isn't very hard but if you've never been inside of a computer before, it might be hard. It's up to you.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since you said you are not daunted by taking stuff apart. Replacing the hard drive is a matter of removing some screws to remove the case cover. Unscrewing and removing the old hard drive. Then connect the new hard drive, put everything back together, boot off the install disc, format the drive then install Mac OS X.

If you are talking about the unibody MBP then it is easier to get at than older models.

IFixit has guides to different Macbooks. Unfortunately for the 17" you will have to look at the teardowns as they do not have part specific guides for them.

For one thing make sure you have a #00 Philips screwdriver. A T6 Torx is also good for a lot of parts on these laptops.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Its very easy, you dont need to worry. just fallow some video on youtube to help you better.. i can do it with my eyes closed really :D

5. rme macrumors regular

Apple's SSDs aren't very good.
    The Intel SSDs are alot faster, and they will get TRIM support via a firmware update.
    OS X doesn't support TRIM yet, but you can expect that's coming when the new MBPs come out.
    I don't think Apple will ever release a firmware update with TRIM support for the SSDs they're selling at the moment.
    For instructions on replacing the HD, check here :
    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_17_hd_h/

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Me too :p I build and fix computers 40 hours per week :cool:

7. go5gaited thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the input. I've changed the ram on my current laptop so I think I could handle it. Now deciding which SSD to get.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely Intel or OCZ, those are the fastest ones available