HD video (720p mp4s) still choppy on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by savoirfaire, Nov 19, 2009.

1. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Hi, I posted this to the Mac Mini forum without much response, so thought I would try here.

Earlier this year, I finished ripping nearly every single one of my DVDs and Blu-rays (I only have a handful of the latter) so that I can play them off of my Mac Mini instead of having to load the DVD player every time I want to see a different movie.

On the Mac Mini 1.83 gHz C2D with 2gb of RAM and GMA950 graphics, I had no issues with the 480p videos in Front Row, but the high-def rips from the Blu-rays were very jerky, even though I downconverted them to 720p. I just upgraded to a 2.0 gHz C2D with 2gb of RAM and the nVidia 9400M graphics. Most of the 720p videos play well now, but a couple of them (Iron Man, particularly) are still a bit jerky in places.

Would upgrading again to a 2.26 gHz or a 2.53 gHz Mac Mini fix this issue? Do I just need more RAM? Does anyone have any advice?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try playing with Plex instead. In my experience, it tends to give much smoother video playback than other apps.

Yes, the new Mac Minis should be able to handle 720p with no trouble.

3. savoirfaire thread starter macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I suppose I can try using Plex. Is there any way to change the settings such that pressing the "menu" button on the remote will open up Plex instead of Front Row?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution