HD Video and Burning in iDVD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chimi, Mar 7, 2010.

1. chimi macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently got a Canon HD camcorder. I have saved the HD footage to a hard drive and imported to iMovie and edited together my movie. However, since the file size of the finished HD movie is huge (and because I am burning to a standard def dvd), I need to know how to downconvert my footage to SD and burn a disk with iDVD.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Also, in the future, would it simply be easier/better to save my camera footage as SD and edit it as SD rather than HD?

Thanks very much

2. chimi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! My problem was I did "export to idvd" instead of exporting to the media browser.

3. ChaoTic macrumors newbie

hi guys,

I found this thread that is most similar to my problem. I'm new to macs so I hope you can help me :)

Importing videos from my sony hd camera to imovie 09 was not a problem, editing also.

BUT:

is it possible to burn my finished video in HD quality? do I need a blue ray disc for that or will a normal dvd also be fine? :confused:
    I don't wanna have ANY quality loss of the final movie!!

can somebody tell me a step by step way how to do that? :D

tnx ;)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Video DVDs (the one with those Bollywood or any other movies on them) are in Standard Definition (SD), thus no HD.

However you can use Roxio Toast Titanium to burn an HD movie to a normal DVD using the BluRay file structure, thus the movie can be played back on a BluRay player. But due to the size of the DVD (4.7GB) only 30 minutes of video can be stored in that way.

If you are able to use MRoogle you will find plenty of threads about this.