HD Video cam recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slipper, Nov 1, 2008.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Im very new to the video scene. Im looking for a HD Video cam that costs under $1000. What is a good cam with good low light performance. I prefer Flash memory over MiniDV tape.

I currently have a Samsung HMX10. Its a great little video cam but its terrible at shooting in low light situations and the LED light is a pain in the ass to turn on.

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

http://www.camcorderinfo.com

You can read the reviews of all of the AVCHD based camcorders here.

Both the Canon and Sony offerings are great and under $1000.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

For inteviews (no action, like pan etc) you are advised to use a cmos sensor, and for action etc (so if you want to run with your camera and that stuff) your advised to use 3ccd. Cmos is better, but in costumer camera's (you are going to buy) the "shutter" is cheaper and therefore worse.

4. foshizzle macrumors regular

for flash over tape, I can highly recommend any of the three cameras in Canon's Vxia HF-xxx line. I have an HF-10 and it is great. You can probably get one for around 7-800 dollars. The newest one, the HF-11, has 32GB internal memory and records at 24mbps, but i think it is a bit over $1000. You can also get the HF-100, which is exactly the same as my HF-10, the only difference is that it does not have internalstorage so you MUST buy SDHC cards. I have 2 x 16GB class 6 cards, along with the 16GB internal stoarge. at the highest recording level I get 2 hours on each 16GB.

Editing is great with final cut (i use express), but im not sure what you'll be using. Low light is good, im sure the HF-11 will perform better but you can visit camcorderinfo.com (linked above) and you'll get a great review.

Either way, you wont be disappointed in the quality. My only two disappointments are that a) no firewire for live streaming like you can with a mini-DV camera (no flash camera to my knowledge has this either) and b) the battery only lasts 80 minutes, so i'll soon be purchasing the canon extended battery.

5. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

If you have any thoughts of using a Hard Drive camera the Sony SR-11 and SR-12 are really great cameras. I have a SR-12 that has super quality and has worked well in a variety of situations.

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Wow according to the website that was suggested...

My Samsung HMX10 scored a 2 for low light performance while a Canon HF100 scored a 14!

7. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Canon make some good high definition SD camcorders. The HF10 and the HF100.