HD video camera to compliment Final Cut

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ec1, May 6, 2009.

1. ec1 macrumors newbie

Hello newbie to Mac here. Tread lightly.

I have purchased a new Macbook Pro and Final cut studio for my wife who is soon to start a film study. I would like to find her a decent video camera so she can get a grip on things. I do not know too much on the subject at all so your suggestions would be most welcome.

Budget £500

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Not sure what her needs are and all that comes to mind is the Canon HV40 (soon to be new model) or the HV30. HV40 is around $999 US so 660ish your cost and the HV30 is $750 US so 500 for you.
    You might get better answers and questions in the digital video forum here at MR. That's all I can really input for you is just that suggestion from Canon :eek:

3. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

This is the video camcorder I just bought which really hasn't shown up in stores yet except online. This camcorder is higher than the price range you are looking for but for the features it has, it is a pretty good price. Its a full HD video camcorder that runs on flash memory. 32gb built in and a 32gb sd slot to make it 64gb. This camera has Time Lapse which is a great feature to have built into the camcorder. It takes 10.8Megapixel Still Shots and 8.3 Megapixel still shots While recording. This camera has 5 microphones so it records in 5.1 surround sound. 12x optical zoom and up to 700x digital zoom. Also has Image Stabilization and Macro. iMovie Compatible ^_^. Hope this helps :D
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HDC-TM300-Media-Camcorder-Black/dp/B001P3P3C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241635129&sr=8-1

4. ec1 thread starter macrumors newbie

nice spec. will put that on the list of contenders.

5. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Did the school specify that she had to have it?
    I'd wait and have her ask her professors and fellow students. Unless she's going to be a DP(cinematographer) she could get away with not having one for a while. Also, she will most likely be able to borrow the schools' cam.

6. ec1 thread starter macrumors newbie

more of a gift really, think ive cracked it. thanks guys.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in the same inssue as you OP.

i not sure whether to go HDD or dv tape, and im finding it hard to tell which HDD camera can be edited by FCP/FCE, or are all AVHCD compatible camcorders compatible? too confused.

that panasonic one looks ok. i have been looking at some JVC ones (not sure if you have them over in the UK) they look fairly decent though.

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

A wise man once said "When in doubt, go DV" that way she doesn't lose important film on her HDD the day before the project is due. (it happens to the best of us)

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ive been reading about the compression on DV tapes and whatnot (can anybody explain for us haha?), im not sure if i want to take that risk. i know it will come in VERY handy being able to switch tapes and all that but i have plenty of HD storage accessible to me. argh i just dont know.

also.. i only have a CoreDuo MBP !!! can it handle the importing of the video? i will be editing on my hackintosh which will be able to handle it (doesnt have a firewire card though)