HD Video Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lindahl22, Dec 6, 2008.

1. lindahl22 macrumors member

I make videos on a pretty good video camera, it is a Sony DCR-TRV520. I use Final Cut Express. And the videos still look horrible. Most iPod videos looks great, compared to our videos. How should I do my videoing, like what export settings/import settings? (here are the videos I have done)

I like my old camera that I previously stated but I think it is time to get a new one, that one isn't HD and I would want an HD, I think that is the main quality problem. I am looking for a camera that is $400-$600 and one that is 1920x1080p, the price is the more important factor however. I think I want a 10x optical zoom, good image stabilization and 3 CCD, but I am new to camera buying...

I am thinking of getting one of these two:
    JVC Everio GZ-HD6 3CCD 120GB Hard Disk Drive High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom
    Amazon
    MacBuy Specs

But I am leaning more to this, but can't decide, as I am new to camera buying...
    Canon VIXIA HV30 MiniDV High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom
    Amazon
    MacBuy Specs

And if I really wanted to go for the $1,000 market I think this would be the best, or is there another for the same price:
    PANASONIC AG-DVX100 Professional MiniDV Camcorder
    Amazon
    MacBuy Specs

Thanks for the Help!

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

The JVC is nice, and is fairly useful with the HDD but seriously the Panasonic is amazing! The picture quality is astounding and forgetting that it's not HD itll have a far superior picture than the JVC as it has a much much better lens and a CCD (1/3 i seem to remember).

Splash the extra cash for a much better long term investment. You'll enjoy it more and there for use it more and do more with it!!

EDIT: Just noticed you had a Cannon listed too, move away from the idea of a HD Handycam because seriously the Panasonic will blow you away!!

3. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

4. timseley macrumors member

go with the HV30/20

I re-read your post a couple times but just to clarify you're wanting an HD camera correct? The Panasonic isn't HD, but it is a fantastic camera. Haven't had any experience with JVC, but I can say that there is large community of Canon users that love their HV20/30. Just go over to vimeo.com and do a search for HV20 and you'll find tons of great videos. You can get an HV20 for under 500 bucks on ebay these days. I've got one and use it all the time for B-Roll. Its a great little camera, and with the money you save you can get a nice external mic, extra battery, tapes, lens adapter if you wish, etc...

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    What's a good external mic for the HV20/HV30? I'm planning on replacing my fire-damaged Sony HC1 with this.

6. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so the Panasonic is awesome, but that might be out of my price range, (I'm a teenager). Do you have an idea on wither the Cannon or JVC is better, or is there another great camera in that market?

...How about the JVC, ...so far I am leaning to the Canon, as I think the Panasonic is too much...

Yes I am looking for an HD Camera, unless that is not how you grade a good camera... Right now I want to upgrade my current camera, the Sony DCR-TRV520, which is not good enough, for background, videos that I have made are here.

So Far I am leaning towards buying the Cannon over the JVC, and other cameras in that market... I think the Panasonic may be out of my price range.

7. timseley macrumors member

An example of some footage from the Canon

I shot this video entirely with the HV20.
    http://blog.movingrushmore.com/?p=159 Its not the best example in the world, but should give you some frame of reference. I love my little HV20 :). The biggest drawback for me is the LCD screen resolution isn't great. Not sure if the HV30 improves on that or not.

Rizvi1: I really like the Rode Videomic. This video is a pretty good demonstration of it.
    http://www.dvcreators.net/products/videomic_movieframe.htm

8. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the video, that has made me decide to get the HV20 video camera!

9. heron88 macrumors 6502

Go for the HV20/30

You really dont want 3CCD in such a small camcorder.

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

HV20 and low light

My HV20 is astounding in low light. This is probably the most important consideration when choosing a camera.

11. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

thanks timseley. My only question on using the Rode is that isn't it directional? If I was recording a family event or something informal, wouldn't I Want something that captured all the sound around me, but just better than the on-board mic? I have an AT-822 stereo microphone for this purpose.

Anyways, I Just set up a deal alert for an HV20 and HV30 on slickdeals.net. I had a Sony HC1 that I got back in April 2006, but it got damaged in a house fire in October and now I have to replace it. Ideally, I would get a camera that could record to both tape (for archival purposes) and some sort of Hard drive or flash/card format so I could edit easier, but I don't think something like that exists on a smaller camcorder. I have so much footage of family events that I've recorded with my HC1 that I keep telling myself I'll do something with, but know that I prob never will.

My other camera that got destroyed was a Canon XH-A1. Planning on replacing that with the new XH-A1s in the near future since that makes it easier to record to an external Hard Drive

12. timseley macrumors member

Rode videomic

Rizvi1-
    It is indeed a very directional mic. They make a stereo mic equivalent that might fit better for your purposes. Its more of a cardiod pickup pattern so the main focus will still be the front but you should pick up decently from the sides but not have much from the rear. More expensive though and I haven't personally used it.

13. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

I own an Audio Technica AT-8822. I could use maybe or would it be too big? When I had my XH-A1, I had gotten a mount and everything to use my AT-822 with that. But my camera died in a house fire shortly after

14. timseley macrumors member

Yeah that sounds good. Did you lose the whole house?

15. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

They have to rebuild the house. The damage was mainly heat and smoke, the actual fire itself took out out the sunroom, kitchen, and family room. No one was hurt so that's what's important. Thanks for asking.

16. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Have an HV20 and two AT822 microphones

I got an HV20 a few months back. I have recently sent in my two AT822 mics to have them checked out by Audio-Technica to make sure that everything is good with them. I should be getting them back soon. Once I get them back, I'd like to use one with my HV20 at all times. Any advice on mounting?

I'm also trying to understand using a mixer w/ my mic, but a lot of the discussion on this Audio options roundup thread on hv20.com is going over my head.

17. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

RIZ-
    what part of the mixer is over your head?
    what is it you would like to do>?

18. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

reading through that thread I linked to on hv20.com, there were a lot of different mixers that were discussed.. then there were questions of using balanced and unbalanced. I'm just unsure of what mixer would be best to use with my AT822 and HV20 and what situations (if not all) I would need to use it in.

19. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

can't you just plug in your mic into the camcorder?
    the only time i could imagine needing a mixer would be if you were shooting a staright off the floor music video or perhaps a interview.

20. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

It seems from the discussion you need a mixer because the mic preamps on the HV20 are not that good. At least that's what I thought I read.