HD Video Capture for a Mac? Does such a thing exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Khryz, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if anyone knows of any TV tuner or recording device that can capture and playback HD video (720p would be perfect).

As of now there doesn't seem to be any options for the Mac. I have the EyeTV 250 Plus but that can only record HD if you are watching HD TV, but it can't capture HD video such as from an Xbox 360 or a PS3.

Does anyone know of ANY device that can do this?

2. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me in the direction of a HD-capture device for a Mac.

Thanks!

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not really, maybe try Slingbox and then transfer over to the mac?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

I have a mythtv setup (Linux based DVR)
    I haven't looked in a while, but as of 6 months or so ago, there is no way to capture a true HD signal from componant or DVI/HDMI. I'm talking for any computer- Win, Mac, or Linux.
    To capture HD, the options are Firewire out of the cable box, or use something with an HD tuner that gets it signal from an antenna or over cable.

there are several options for standard def (either composite, or s-video)

5. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

I plugged the HDMI out from my DirecTV box into my Intensity Pro and did a test capture of some 720p content, worked great. Of course you can't capture anything that's flagged as copy protected.

The Intensity Pro should also be able to capture HD output from an Xbox360 or PS3 - again; provided that content is not flagged as protected.

6. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the Intensity only works with the Mac Pro, and I only have a Macbook. So there's no place for the capture card.