HD video chat software & up/down speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anarchyinwa, Sep 7, 2010.

1. anarchyinwa macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been trying to get a two-way video chat set up between my office in Perth and a rural town on the other side of the country (Australia). I'm using the same system on either sides of the connection, that is, a new MacMini with Snow Leopard, Song Bravia TV and Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro.

The connection speed on my side is going at 8.47Mbps download and 0.80Mbps upload. And on the rural town side it's 6.47Mbps download and 0.32Mbps upload. Both are on high speed plans. I know the one in the rural town has the max plan available which is 8000/384Kbps for $89.95 a month. I'm pretty sure it only has ADSL-1 lines out there.

My boss is adamant we get a clear HD video chat happening that will run without a hitch through the working week.

I've tried applications like Skype (only SD resolution for Mac), Logitech Vid (HD apparently, but this fails/drops out immediately), SightSpeed (does same as Vid) and ooVoo (fails). As Skype is the only one working we are using that at the moment.

Can anyone offer any insight into the matter? Any good software to use (don't mind if its paid) or any info on my my connection can support?

Thanks so much.

Will

2. Saturday macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same problem, anyone knows how to resolve it? :confused:

3. bademotion macrumors newbie

Hi friend,i used 123flashchat about 2 years ago and i really felt satisfied.its video function is so powerful that i can't help sharing it with you!it supports MAC as well ,so you don't need to worry about its install,trying it without hesitation then you would get surprise.