Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piehead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. After purchasing my MBP 13 inch 2.4 ghz, I'm going to buy a dSLR. A Canon 550d (aka T2i). Will my laptop be able to handle the HD footage?

Thanks alot,
Piehead :rolleyes:

chris8535

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Short answer: yes if course it will work fine.

Long answer: you may have to do some transcoding to do smooth previewing and no-rendering, final cut doesn't play to nice with compressed h.264 in live editing. No idea what kind of performance you'll get in iMovie.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If it's going to be simple cut&paste with iMovie, it'll handle it fine. Isn't 550D a camera, not a video camera? (asking because cameras have a lot poorer quality than video cams)

Piehead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2010
If it's going to be simple cut&paste with iMovie, it'll handle it fine. Isn't 550D a camera, not a video camera? (asking because cameras have a lot poorer quality than video cams)

Well for around 900 dollars, this dSLR takes amazing quailty HD videos, and I really like the short DOF. It also has a larger sensor then video cameras twice the price of it, so it really performs well at night. Plus, with interchangeable lenses, I can get a variety of different shots. (macro vs wide angle) I will probably use Final Cut Express or Pro to edit.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well for around 900 dollars, this dSLR takes amazing quailty HD videos, and I really like the short DOF. It also has a larger sensor then video cameras twice the price of it, so it really performs well at night. Plus, with interchangeable lenses, I can get a variety of different shots. (macro vs wide angle) I will probably use Final Cut Express or Pro to edit.

I'm sure it'll be fine, unless you do some serious stuff with e.g. Motion. Rendering etc just takes some time

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007

DSLR cams have incredible color reproduction for those of us who don't have access to lustre suites or dreamcolor displays :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
DSLR cams have incredible color reproduction for those of us who don't have access to lustre suites or dreamcolor displays :D

Could be :cool: I've never tried one but I've tried some older Canons and their video wasn't that great. Anyway, MBP will handle it okay

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Could be :cool: I've never tried one but I've tried some older Canons and their video wasn't that great. Anyway, MBP will handle it okay

the new canon DSLR cameras... the 550d (t2i), 7d, and 5dmkii have VERY good video. Its nothing like older "camera/video recording" in fact, the season finale of House was filmed exclusively with the 5dmkii. the 550d is no slouch and will give full blown hd camcorders a run for their money.

check this for a sample of the 5dmkii in action

http://vimeo.com/10570139

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.