HD video editing on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Piehead, May 21, 2010.

1. Piehead macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. After purchasing my MBP 13 inch 2.4 ghz, I'm going to buy a dSLR. A Canon 550d (aka T2i). Will my laptop be able to handle the HD footage?

Thanks alot,
    Piehead :rolleyes:

2. chris8535 macrumors member

Short answer: yes if course it will work fine.

Long answer: you may have to do some transcoding to do smooth previewing and no-rendering, final cut doesn't play to nice with compressed h.264 in live editing. No idea what kind of performance you'll get in iMovie.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it's going to be simple cut&paste with iMovie, it'll handle it fine. Isn't 550D a camera, not a video camera? (asking because cameras have a lot poorer quality than video cams)

4. Piehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Well for around 900 dollars, this dSLR takes amazing quailty HD videos, and I really like the short DOF. It also has a larger sensor then video cameras twice the price of it, so it really performs well at night. Plus, with interchangeable lenses, I can get a variety of different shots. (macro vs wide angle) I will probably use Final Cut Express or Pro to edit.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm sure it'll be fine, unless you do some serious stuff with e.g. Motion. Rendering etc just takes some time

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

DSLR cams have incredible color reproduction for those of us who don't have access to lustre suites or dreamcolor displays :D

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Could be :cool: I've never tried one but I've tried some older Canons and their video wasn't that great. Anyway, MBP will handle it okay

8. unamused macrumors 6502

the new canon DSLR cameras... the 550d (t2i), 7d, and 5dmkii have VERY good video. Its nothing like older "camera/video recording" in fact, the season finale of House was filmed exclusively with the 5dmkii. the 550d is no slouch and will give full blown hd camcorders a run for their money.

check this for a sample of the 5dmkii in action

http://vimeo.com/10570139