HD Video Editing on new MacBooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by utsava, Oct 14, 2008.

1. utsava macrumors regular

What is everyones opinion on HD Video editing on a new MacBook? Nothing heavy, just home movie editing from my HD camcorder. Do you think it is feasible, or will I have to shell out the extra for the Pro?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Was possible on the old; definitely possible on the new.

The screen may be a bit small. Just my 2 cents.

3. mitchellzwick macrumors newbie

Oh God No! The Macbook will be just fine.

If its nothing heavy, then you should be absolutely fine. Imho waiting a few more minutes while the video encodes is worth not paying the extra $700.

4. Suasexed macrumors member

5. humblesound macrumors newbie

You'll have to have some kind of hard drive or flash memory based camera that transfers over something other than the DV standard Firewire connection.

6. utsava thread starter macrumors regular

OK. So the consensus is HD video editing will work well on the new macbook?

As for other people's suggestions, I already have an external 24" monitor, 500GB USB drive and my Sony AVCHD camcorder is USB....so I would be good to go...

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

You should have no issues doing HD video editing on the new macbook. I did several pojects on my white Macbook. Worked very well.

8. Bokes macrumors 6502

are you using the system drive as media edit drive?
    I heard that's a no-no.

9. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

yes.... kind of

First most DV and HDV cameras use firewire ( yes I know some new crap AVCHD ones use USB)

But for your external drive to edit the video you need to have something faster than USB 2.0 for the multiple HD video streams to play back in real time.

If your not working on any big projects and are not going to use it allot I would say it would be ok.

If you are going be using it allot for video I would suggest a Pro or a Plastic so you can have firewire.

10. welles13 macrumors member

You'll have to go pro, unless you want to struggle and pray with USB.

11. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Which HD cam is it?

12. gyumilly macrumors member

I have x3100 intel integrated. What I found when editing videos, fans just go nuts for long long time. I'm wondering if the new MB's fans don't have to work as hard as before?

13. bogman12 macrumors regular

I edited HD footage on my Old MacBook in FCP studio so the new one is fine.. It's just stupid that they removed firewire.. you're limited to HD cameras that record onto solid state media...

14. utsava thread starter macrumors regular

It's a Sony AVCHD camcorder. I've heard that AVCHD is more CPU intensive than other formats, will this be a problem?

Also, will I be able to use an external USB 2.0 HD for storing the video without problems?

15. Tummy macrumors regular

USB storage should not be a problem. AVCHD is more intensive, but should not be a problem. It has to convert in any case.