Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yotoad

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
I'm using a Sanyo Xacti HD1000 and only have had my iMac for less than 24 hours -- although iMovie (really quicktime) doesn't play nice with 1080i .mp4 files that Sanyo creates, the 720p 60fps files work really well and imported perfectly into iMovie -- i created a movie and exported it to AppleTV (large) format within 20 minutes of starting the project -- it was a simple 2-3 minute home movie. and that's before i installed the 4 gigs of RAM (which came today, ordered yesterday, thank you NewEgg)

I am so pumped about this machine. now to buy a bigger external hard drive to keep all the original video files -- what are you guys doing about this?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I'm using a Sanyo Xacti HD1000 and only have had my iMac for less than 24 hours -- although iMovie (really quicktime) doesn't play nice with 1080i .mp4 files that Sanyo creates, the 720p 60fps files work really well and imported perfectly into iMovie -- i created a movie and exported it to AppleTV (large) format within 20 minutes of starting the project -- it was a simple 2-3 minute home movie. and that's before i installed the 4 gigs of RAM (which came today, ordered yesterday, thank you NewEgg)

I am so pumped about this machine. now to buy a bigger external hard drive to keep all the original video files -- what are you guys doing about this?
I picked up a 1 TB Western Digital Studio Edition with the FireWire 800 interface. It's used as the "scratch" drive for creating the videos so I don't fill up the drive inside my iMac. It also stores my finished videos. For HD video, Firewire 800 is the way to go.

Kulee

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Ideal settings to export HDV from iMovie 08 to iDVD?

I've wrestling with this over the last couple o weeks and this finally looks like the forum that can answer this question for me. I'm using a new HV30 Canon to shoot in full HD mode. I upload the video to iMovie 08 with no problem and it looks great, (Using a 24" iMAC 2.4Ghz with 4GB RAM). My problem is exporting to DVD as it comes out so poor it looks worse than VHS. I've been trying to mess with all the settings in iDVD and it seems like no matter I do, it still comes out really bad!

Here's the thing, I didn't expect it to come out as fantastic as it sounds like what Toast 9 is doing to Blu-Ray, but I haven't yet invested in a Blu-Ray player so I'm using an up-converting DVD player to my 46in LCD HDTV.

I'm specifically giving all the equipment I'm using because I'm super frustrated with what I'm doing wrong. A friend edited Std Def DV recordings in Pinnacle w/PC at a 16:9 wide screen format and it looked beautiful on my TV. My HD stuff from MAC is just wrong on so many levels, so my bottom line question:

Can someone help me with what the best settings are to export HDV (that obviously converts to AIC) from iMove to iDVD for acceptable viewing OR do I stop using iDVD all together ad use Toast 9?

Thanks in advance for your help!:eek:

mtb9153

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
San Jose, CA.
trouble editing HD footage

I'm trying to edit 2 hours of HD 1920x1080 footage I shot on my Canon XHA1 at 30fps directly onto my Focus Enhancements FS-CF Pro DTE for Canon. It is a simple log and capture to FCP7.0 since they are .mov files.

I'm experiencing extremely long render times once I insert the clips into my timeline. My last attempt was telling it was going to take 27 hours. This is not acceptable since shorter render times is why I bought my Mac Pro and paid so much for it. Works great with SD footage, reasonable render times.

Here is my system configuation...

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)
Processor 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon
Memory 8gb 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
2 internal DVD/CD RW burners
Matrox CompressHD card (which I really know nothing about using it came installed in my system)

External Blu-Ray connected with e-Sata card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.