HD Video on New MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordii, Nov 18, 2009.

1. jordii macrumors regular

My 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook can't play HD video without horrendous stalling and stuttering.

If I buy a new MBP, will that no longer happen? And is this a reason to get one of the faster-processing models?

2. sdh1982 macrumors newbie

I might be wrong but i seem to recall that HD footage would only play back on machines with Dual 2.0ghx G5 processors or above, or mac's with intel processors. I know that my iMac single G5 2.0ghz would still stutter with HD video.

I have an intel MBP from 2 years ago, HD works perfect, so you shouldnt have any problem with the current range. Depends what your gonna use your MBP for as to whether its worth paying extra for processor upgrades. . . . . at the end of the day faster is better.

For reference i use my MBP to render 3D visuals and animations in cinema 4D, although not the quickest machine, it certainly doesnt struggle with it. My spec is: Intel Dual Core 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 256MB Graphics, 15" screen.

3. jpow112 macrumors member

Hd

I have a powerbook g4 1.67

I managed to get it showing 720p, but only by transcoding to mpeg rather than h264, and using really low compression. The files of course were massive, but it did run smoothly.

Then I got a macbook, and that has no probs at all with 1080p h264.

I've tried all the recent macs, including the macbook air in the stores, and they all seem to play 1080p apple trailers without any problem.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Only the 17 inch MBP has a decent screen resolution for HD and none of them have a blu-ray drive.

A future revision of the MBP might have true HD capability but if you need a computer now that can handle it I'd honestly consider a high end PC. Apple has dropped the ball here.

5. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I watched 720p resolution video on my 15" uMBP and it works great. The only thing that is problematic is the resolution. It's too low in my opinion for 15" notebook.