HD Video Playback on the MBA 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by s4yunkim, Oct 26, 2010.

1. s4yunkim macrumors regular

Can someone who bought a macbook air 11" tell me how well HD video plays back on their system?

I know that I'm not gonna be using it for 1080p content while I'm on the go, but I do have a lot of movies in 720p, as well as TV shows.

Would someone be willing to download a 720 and 1080 trailer off apple's site and full screen it? Any comments on how those run (with and without the adapter plugged in), as well as how 720/1080 MKV's on vlc run would be gladly appreciated.

PS. I just started reading the review on engadget, seems that the 11" chokes a little on 1080p Youtube videos, but I assume that's because it's in flash...

2. inf macrumors 6502

inf

There's couple of threads about this already.

You have to use a player that supports (atleast Plex) using the GPU to play the HD files. Atleast 720p should play nicely.

3. elwood58 macrumors member

720p looks very good, and 1080p looks fantastic, but flash based 1080p seems to drop frames here and there, but is still very watchable. I am running Flash version 10.1 r85, so I know it is hardware accelerated. I do not have a 1080p display, so in my testing up to 50 inch plasma, it all involved scaling of the output, which adds another dimension of difficulty. I did my testing with VGA, DVI, and HDMI (including audio).

Just for grins, I even connected to 11.6 MBA to my Matrox Box and drove three external monitors. It did pretty well.