HD Video stutters horribly in Snow Leopard - Help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mxt920, Oct 11, 2009.

1. mxt920 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me. I installed Snow Leopard recently and I've got most things up and running without any trouble, although I am having an awful problem with skipping / stuttering during playback of HD movie files. I am experiencing this problem both in VLC and Quicktime.

I did a little searching and the only suggestion I could really find was to select the "Use file memory mapping" option in VLC. I tried that but it didn't help much.

I have a mid-2007 iMac with ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card. 2.8G C2D, 2G ram, running 10.6.1. The same 1080p mkv files played with no problems under 10.5.8. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. siblify macrumors newbie

Same problem here

I'm having exactly the same problem here with my macbook pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB ram.

I did hear a podcast recently where the presenter had upgraded his Imac to Snow Leopard and had the same problem we are experiencing. He added another GB of ram and says it solved the problem instantly. As soon as I can afford to I'm going to give this a go as I am sure these models should have no problem with HD video especially under an apparently faster OS.

I am also having problems with music starting to break up after several hours without re-booting using lots of Apps so I am wondering if this is part of the same issue.

I'll post back if I get any results.