HD Video to the TV?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by clindner, Oct 22, 2010.

1. clindner macrumors regular

What is the cheapest way to deliver HD video from a Mac to a TV?

So far, my experience is limited to burning DVDs of HD content, which of course kills the HD part. In reading the recent stories about Apple "killing" the CD/DVD/Optical Media, it got me thinking about options for viewing HD content on a TV.

From what I understand, Apple does not support Bluray authoring in any of its products. And Adobe's offerings are very expensive.

So, how are you all viewing your HD content on TVs? Putting video files on a memory stick and reading it from the TV or a Bluray player? Streaming through an AppleTV? I just got an AppleTV for my birthday, but I've been too busy to even try to use it, other than to discover it doesn't seem to know how to access my iTunes home sharing (a common problem?).

2. clindner thread starter macrumors regular

So, nobody here creates HD video that they want to show on a TV?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Your :apple:TV should work after you trouble shoot the problem. This would be the easiest, and cheapest, way to go since you already own it.

You can also stream to a 360 or PS3 from your Mac or use one of the set-top media players from Seagate or Western Digital. With Toast and a Blu-Ray burner you can burn simple, 'play button only' Blu-Ray discs (this is assuming you have a Blu-Ray player, of course).

Lethal

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

For an extremely quick-n-dirty fix, I have a DVI to HDMI cable and play it back in fullscreen in Quicktime on my TV screen. That's not for anything serious, though.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

Both FCP and Compressor have a Blu-ray "share' function for burning Blu-ray discs.

-DH

6. clindner thread starter macrumors regular

7. dubstar macrumors member

what software do you recommend using to stream to the PS3?

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't have a PS3 so I can't recommend anything personally but you could try giving Media Link a try.

Lethal