HD Wipe?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Daniel97, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Question ..

I want to do a completely fresh instal of my HD but have no back up so this is my plan. If it will work.

Plug in an external HD.

Reboot mac and boot to the external HD - insert the SL instal DVD and install that to the HD. - Then sign into the app store download and install lion. Thus giving me a completely fresh instal of OSX.

Then - go back to my HD inside my Mac and copy accross my home(i think thats right?) folder.

When thats done the external HD - SHOULD be a completlely spanking fresh new version of my OSX with all my files, folders, preferences etc all in tact?

I can then using disk utility wipe my Mac HD clean/format it and then copy across the entire contents of my external.

Have i missed anything?

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

All your apps will be gone.....

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Since you have an external drive why don't you just use it to do a backup using either time machine or carbon copy cloner. Then you can wipe the disk in your machine and install lion on it. Now you can use your backup to install the apps & data that you want. Plus you now have a backup that you can use in case lion doesn't work out for you.

4. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

It is a great idea to clone - I always do it before an OSX upgrade. That way after you patch to the next version , you can always go back if it breaks things and wait for solutions...

But that depends where the apps install their stuff. What about all the files in Application support, app preferences and all the plugins etc.... Sounds like a nightmare to me.

There is no quick way. If you want to reinstall an OS from scratch, you will need to install all your Apps again. You can copy over your photos, and documents from the backup etc but it will be a big task.

5. djrbx macrumors member

I second this. Just use Carbon Copy Cloner and make a bootable backup. Keep this backup safe and once Lion is released, do a clean install and mount your backup. Transfer all your files that you need and then keep the backup somewhere safe. Done and Done, you have created a backup and transfered all your files to the new installation.

6. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let me get this right im a bit slow.

Use my external HD to take a back up of what i have now?

Wipe my HD clean using disk utility - then reinstal SL from disk and then lion over that ..

Then plug the external back in and port my home folder and apps back accross?