HD . WMV in VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mix123, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mix123 macrumors member

Hi, Im trying to watch an HD .wmv file. I tried it in quicktime and it was choppy at times. VLC gives me some kind of error...plays the video smooth but with no audio. Any ideas? I'm running at 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac with 1 gig ram...

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I think the only way to play WMV-HD files is with QuickTime and Flip4Mac. Like you said, VLC doesn't play the audio. I have a 2.4ghz SR MBP with 2gb RAM and everything I tried to play in QT worked fine other than taking a few seconds to start up the video. But if anyone else knows other players for WMV-HD files I'd love to know as well.

3. Millwood macrumors regular

One has to wonder why anyone would put HD into wmv format.

4. mix123 thread starter macrumors member

I tried Mplayer and it's the same as VLC no sound but smooth picture, Quicktime has sound but choppy picture. It's 1080p if that matters. I tried it first off my external drive then my internal... the same on both

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

The problem is that WMV HD uses the Windows Media Audio 9 Professional codec for sound. This is supported by Flip4Mac but not VLC (in the features list I believe that it is named WMA 3) and Mplayer also doesn't support this codec, at least for the mac versions of these players. Note that WMV HD is a marketing term and what governs the video and audio streams are the Windows Media 9 series codecs.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

6. mix123 thread starter macrumors member

Any idea why quicktime would be choppy? I understand that vlc can't play the file correctly but why would quicktime be choppy?

7. jkr801 macrumors newbie

mix did you find out why its being choppy i have a 2.4 core 2 duo with 4 gig on ram and i am using a wmv-hd through all the same crap you did and nothing works and its choppy on quicktime.....son of a beatch i wish there was a player that played these

8. davegregoire macrumors newbie

not ideal

Not an ideal solutions but you can one to play these if you only have a mac is if youhappen to have an xbox360. The xbox can stream the wmvhd no problems. I do this all the time with 1080p wmv content

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

cauz wmv is the worst format in the world ?? ;)

10. davegregoire macrumors newbie