HD worry!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irishgrizzly, Jun 6, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm experiencing some mac related worry - HD began to make whirring noise this morning (stopped after ten minutes) but when I ran Disk Utility the following message appeared:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    %)
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    Volume Header needs minor repair
    d.",1)
    Macintosh HD
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

What's your advice?

2. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Back up your hard drive data immediately! If you don't you might lose it all. If you don't have important files on it then don't worry about it. I lost almost all of my data once--almost twice and I had to learn the hard way before I got an external hard drive. Don't follow my footsteps from the past--if your data is important to you then buy an external hard drive before you lose your data!

If you want to back up your data and you don't have an external or additional hard drive or flash thumb drive then buy one.

Here's my advice:
    - For backing up 1.2 GB or less of data buy a 2.0 GB flash thumb drive to back up your files
    - For anything higher then buy an external hard drive that is capable of backing up your entire system with at lest 10 GB (minimum) to spare--have even more to spare if you have over 100 GB of data to back up.

SuperDuper! is a great Application to download to back up your data for free. You can however pay for a "premium" version of SuperDuper! but it is already a premium Application without its extra features so you might not have a need to purchase it--I've been using it for about 2 years now (maybe longer) and I've never donated a penny to the SuperDuper! developers although I probably will sometime soon since SuperDuper! is such a great Application and has benefitted me in so many ways.