HD YouTube problems

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamesthegator, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jamesthegator macrumors member

Does anyone else experience poor HD YouTube playback? I can stream from ABC and netflix fine, but YouTube seriously struggles. I'm talking the videos are choppy and take forever to load, if they ever load at all.

A perfect example is the iPad torture test video posted the other day. Is this a flaw in YouTube, or is my connection or network?

2. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

Yes, happens to me too but not all HD videos. Real long ones over 6 mins do take a long time to completely load but even some shorter ones do that too. Oddly, still other longish HD clips run pretty well but overall, the same HD videos that would have streamed much faster on my net book take MUCH longer on my iPad, so I know it's not my wifi.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

I think that YouTube is going through some growing pains with the intro of the iPad. I've been having the same problem today, both at Starbucks and at home. It's definitely not the iPad, the internet or wifi connection.

4. ashVID macrumors regular

Not an iPad issue at all, it's a Youtube issue. Even on my Mac Pro with a cable connection, I have issues at times with Youtube HD.

ash =o)

5. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I was wondering what the problem was earlier tonight. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

6. fishepa macrumors regular

Same problem here as well, anyone know how to change it to standard def on the iPad? Maybe this would help?

7. gratui macrumors member

8. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

Don't think you can. YouTube automatically plays the highest def clip.

9. magicandmystery macrumors member

I have the same problems, and it's not for all HD YouTube files. My guess is that there are some that are 1080, and the iPad attempts to play it, but can't.

10. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

There is a definite fix for any future updates. I would really want to use SD because of my slow Internet connection at home. But HD at times when I am willing to wait, or if I am in civilization. :)