Hd ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andrewsd, Dec 10, 2010.

1. andrewsd, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

andrewsd macrumors 6502

So I have a MacBook/BlackBook that is about to turn 3 and just was wondering if anyone could give me any good advice on a 7200rpm hard drive that would be a good upgrade for me. I know ssd would be the way to go but if I was going to start to spend that kind of money I'd just save a little more and upgrade to a new MacBook. I like to get the most out of my computers long with longevity. Plus it still suits my basics needs well. Really besides from the screen I am very happy with my machine how it has held up the last few years along all my journeys. It has defiantly had it's bumps and bruises. I am also going to upgrade to 4gigs or ram as I only have 2 as of now. I'm running leopard as well and am purchasing snow leopard in a few days when I get back to that states. Also how much more battery drain would I expect to experience with a 7200rpm hard drive and would a ssd one cause as much or less? I really am looking just to try to squeeze another few years out of my current portable machine. Especially because it has held up and although I take care of my stuff I'd hate to go buy a new one and have something happen to it soon after knowing that I was perfectly content with the machine I have.

Thank you for you help, prost!

PS: My uses generally consist of
    Web browsing
    iTunes
    iPhoto
    Pages/Office 2008
    and some light, occasional iMovie and maybe a little Photoshop but I usually use My iMac for that.

2. simsaladimbamba

There are many 7200 RPM HDDs out there (nifty thread title by the way), but what kind of storage volume do you want to use, as there are 250GB, 320GB and 500GB HDDs out spinning their platters at 120RPS. If you want fast performance, take a look at the Seagate Momentus XT series, which has 4GB of fast flash memory to load often used documents and applications faster. It comes it 320GB and 500GB. Maybe there is a thread about them here.

3. andrewsd thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha, yeah surprised I haven't been flamed for that. I am just a little concerned about the thermal output of one on my system. I saw on another forum board that there are a few that actually use less power and ut out less heat. I am going to look into those that you suggested and I gratefully appreciate your help. (If I changed the title to this thread may get a few more responses! huh/)
    Also 320gigs would be fine as I just now have almost filled up my standard 160 gig HDD.
    I like the idea of the flash memory too.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

The Seagate HD have had problems in recent years. I would go with Western Digital HD, I use the WD 7200rpm HD with no issues at all.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Nothing on your list indicates why a 7200rpm is needed. Your macbook still uses the older battery type so I would upgrade around that fact and stay with a 5400rpm drive - especially since you indicate it's been fine all these years. You won't notice the difference based on what you use the blackbook for.

I would also save my SSD desires for a new macbook down the road.

6. andrewsd thread starter macrumors 6502

I am defiantly saving the SSD for a macbook down the road and I didn't take into account about the battery being of the "older style" Just was thinking of maybe making my laptop a little bit more snappier. Thank you though for the heads up.