HD3000 + Titanfall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrf097, Jul 5, 2014.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Recently I installed Windows in order to play some of my favorite games. Most of these games are older games or 2D/not heavy 3D games, so my Macbook Pro is able to handle them with ease.

However, I decided to become ambitious. I really enjoyed playing Skyrim and GTA IV on my PS3, but I no longer have my PS3 and I missed those games. I decided I'd experiment and see if those games would run. I installed and tested them and to my surprise they both actually ran quite well. I had frame rates in the high 20s (around 25-26 average), and the graphics were on low but the games were playable and just as enjoyable as they were on the PS3, even if I did have to suffer a downgrade.

That said, now I'm wanting to be ambitious. I want to try more modern and newer games and see how well my computer can handle them. I know Titanfall is more forgiving on older/lower spec computers (given it's built off the Source engine which can run on almost anything), but I wanted to know if it's even worth trying or if I should just not bother at all.

My system specs are:

2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2435M (Dual Core, turbo boost up to 2.9GHz)
    Intel HD3000
    Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit)
    8GB DDR3 @1067Mhz Corsair RAM
    500GB Toshiba HDD @ 5400RPM

So, MR, do you think I have a chance? Or should I just wait for Titanfall 2 to come to the PS4?

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Could be worth a shot. It might be playable at very low settings, but max settings look to be out of the question given it looks like the Intel 4000 struggles with it.

3. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Yeah, I never expected Max to be something I could achieve, but if I could play on low with at least playable FPS (25-30 minimum in my book), then that would make me very happy.

Is there a Titanfall demo I can download to test? Or I might try to get a friend to let me download their copy on my computer before I absolutely buy it.

4. MarkDK2 macrumors newbie

Just so you know it will not play Titanfall. I had purchased on sale for my HTPC and decided I would try it under windows 8.1 running on my bootcamp partition and there is an error that comes up and says the Video card does not support the necessary features for game play.

5. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

I'd google around 'Titanfall in Bootcamp' playable with your specs before giving up hope.

Apparently people are playing the game fine with Bootcamp but they may have newer Macs.

6. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

HD3000 + Titanfall?

I don't think you can play it. I get barely 25-30 fps with everything on low on the Iris.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think its going to be feasible to play, sorry :( but the iGPU just isn't powerful enough to drive a game as demanding as that.

8. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Oh well, disappointing. I was surprised that the HD3000 was more powerful than I assumed (I've been enjoying Skyrim and New Vegas and GTA IV with decent FPS and Graphics :D ) but oh well.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready to upgrade from this machine to my next computer (which will likely be a 13-inch Retina Pro) the Intel chipset will be able to run games better.

That or Apple includes Nvidia chips in the 13 rMBP, but that's a pipe dream.