HD4000 - Retina Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattkidd, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

What are your? thoughts about the use of the HD 4000 graphics? Apple seem to have put some emphasis and focus with it being featured on the new Retina Mac.

Do you think the machine possibly uses a graphic switching technology? Would the HD 4000 be able to smoothly power the general operation of the display and its crazy resolution with the Nvidia only kicking in for intensive tasks... or will we simply be using the Nvidia graphics all the time..

Let me know your thoughts ;)

2. Xcelerate, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

Xcelerate macrumors regular

You bring up an important point that I think a lot of people have overlooked. Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that perhaps the Intel HD 4000 will be used to power the display (and external displays as well since its specs sheet says it can support multiple 4K displays).

That would leave the 650m entirely open for additional computational support.

3. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

That would make some sense I can also recall the 4k support. Will have too see hopefully that's the case I guess it would further support the battery life claim also..

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

What do you mean by computational support? Like open CL?

The HD 4000 can push 4k displays, but performance will be terrible in anything but a simple 2D interface. I think anything more taxing than Apple's "genie" effect will be noticeably choppy on this GPU running at retina resolution.