HD4890 on 1st gen mac pro...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sOwL, Jul 23, 2009.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Yes, yet another thread like the others. And yes, i've done my homework and searched this forum and i actually read most of the posts that cover this thing. The thing is, everything inside my mac pro kciks ass expect my gpu... its the x1900 which is really, really bad, at least for gaming; bad fps, high temps, bad usage of memory or memory leaks for no reason, MANY new games have bugs that are related ONLY to this card (like gta iv) and also it gets all dusted so easilly. So anyway, i was looking at the HD4890. I understand that there's not even a mac edition of it (that wouldn't really work on a 1st gen mac pro anyway right?), but i was thinking if i could use a flashed one. The thing is, i've heard a lot of people talking about another card, the HD4870, which i think has a similar rom with the HD4890, but of course i could be wrong. So about the 4870, i heard people saying they got it to work, for bothed a flashed pc version and the mac edition... could anyone confirm this? If those cards do work, i cant think of why the 4890 couldn't. Please enlighten me macheads :p

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK... Correct if i'm wrong... But the first edition MP's require a 32bit EFI firmware in the videocard, in for it to be initialise. Yes, other people have flash theirs with Mac firmware they've always been 64Bit, the first edition MP doesn't support it; that's why Apple has to release two versions of certain cards.

So I think, unless you can physically source a 32bit EFI firmware, you're gonna be struggling.

3. netkas macrumors 65816

4. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

Ok maybe i wasn't clear enough. Firstly, as i said i DID search the forums. Using an injector won't do the thing for me because i have a windows partition (bootcamp) so i should be able to see the apple logo etc. Yes, i could do that from inside the OS, but that would be such a pain. Another question about this that i just remembered, even if i got that working, could the card support a 19" and a 32" screen connected at the same time? Also, about the EFI32 and 64 thing, thats why i'm reffering to "flashed" cards, which would obviously be flashed with the roms that work with the 32 version.

ps: let's just dont start the "won't work VS it works" conversation once more, if someone got it working or knows how to get it working, please help me ont hat one

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks for the correction.

6. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

ok im sorry, i re-read that thread and yes its not about an injector. It seems that guy got the first screen working too, thats great job netkas. So there's jsut one more question that i can't find an answer for it... with your rom, could i use 2 displays (on leopard that is, i know it works on snow leopard)?? If thats the case, damn im getting that hd4890 right away