HDAPM not working... please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, Oct 10, 2010.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I recently upgraded my HDD to a 500gb 7200RPM Hitachi Travelstar. It makes sounds like it is parking the drive heads every 5 seconds. I know that this is just an OS X power management problem with the drive, because it does not do this under bootcamp. I have set up HDAPM correctly- I followed the instructions in the read me supplied with HDAPM, rebooted and searched for a thread with "HDAPM" in it, in console. No dice. Please help me get HDAPM correctly set up.

Thanks,
    AlphaDogg

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Here is what i did to get it working. You need to download a program called Lingon to add new launch items. You can get it here. After that follow these instructions:

1. Move the file hdapm into /Applications/Utilities/ and authenticate.

2. With Lingon, create a new launchd configuration file with these settings:
    -- "Where" is "Users Daemons."
    -- "Name" is something like
    com.yourusername.launchd.hdapm
    Replace "yourusername" with your OS X account name. (That's the name next to the house in your Finder sidebar, and it's case sensitive.)
    -- "What" is /Applications/Utilities/hdapm disk0 max
    (That's a zero following "disk", not the letter O. And don't leave out the initial slash!)
    -- "When" is "Run it when it is loaded by the system (at startup or login)."

3. Save and authenticate. This places the file com.yourusername.launchd.hdapm.plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons, from where it will run the specified Terminal command with root privileges at startup or login.

4. Restart, then open Console. Search on "hdapm." You should see lines like this:

If you have any issues let me know!

3. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What do you mean by"'what is...' and 'when is'"?

4. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nevermind :)... I figured it out.... Had the wrong version of lingon installed... After I followed your instructions correctly, I got it to work! Thanks a bunch :).

AlphaDogg

5. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Your Welcome!

You don't need Lingon anymore so you can remove it if you want. Your settings will still stay in place.