HDCP and the MBP miniDisplayPort- Options for external monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulyras, Nov 23, 2008.

1. paulyras macrumors 6502

I'm not sure where the best place for this is, but I have a new MBP, and am looking at external monitors. Obviously the new ACD is one option, but at $900, it's a little hard to swallow.

I would like to be able to display whatever content I want on the display, including iTunes movies. So here's the problem...

Most non apple monitors come with some combination of HDMI, DVI and VGA. VGA is out, for a variety of reasons, including HDCP problems. I don't believe mDP to HDMI converters exist right now, which leaves DVI.

I understand that some DVI monitors (those with DVI-D) can support HDCP. First, is this correct?

Second, if I were to pick up the mDP to DVI converter, would that support DVI-D, and if so, would it successfully handshake, allowing the transmission and viewing of HDCP content?

Anyone done this? Did it work? Any other suggestions? I just looked through about 20 pages of comments from the initial HDCP news article, and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Look at monitors in your price range, and check to see if HDCP is in the specs. I've got an "old" gateway 21" LCD, and it has HDCP (never got around to taking the sticker off the front of it), so no problems. I use the display port to DVI connector.

Have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that Apple stuck this 'feature' in on us without letting anyone know. Especially since I spent so much time ragging on my Vista friends for this same thing a year or so ago...

Do the 'old' ACD's have HDCP? If I bought a 2K laptop and couldn't play the iTunes content I bought on my apple cinema display, I'd be taking the lappy back and having a fit!

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 'old' Cinema Displays did not have HDCP, by the way.

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I have the Dell 30" monitor which is supposed to support HDCP via dual DVI according to the documentation. I have not tried it myself though.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So let me get this straight, a new laptop I bought from Apple may not play content I bought from Apple on the (slightly older) monitor I bought from Apple?

That's some sort of frakked up. Considering the hell that was raised on these forums for crooked keys and loose battery covers, I can't believe that people are letting Apple off the hook for it.