HDD 7200 or 5400rpm?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Puckman, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Puckman macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy a new MBP in the coming days (waiting to see if a new upgrade is announced). In the meantime, I'm doing my homework. Trying to decide how worth it the 200G 7200rpm upgrade is for the Hard Drive.

Obviously, in an ideal world, the faster, slightly bigger HD wins. But I have no real need for the extra space (I have all the space I need with 160G + external storage) and I don't really use my computer for high-performance stuff (gaming, rendering, or whatever). Is the improvement in performance/speed that obvious between 5400 and 7200? I mean, is it something noticeable on "standard" applications? (Anything from GarageBand to basic iTunes, mp3 ripping, etc.).

2. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

if you only plan on doing the things mentioned i would say that your safe with the 5400 rpm drive but if you ever plan on doing high-performance work i would spring for the 7200 rpm drive

3. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

From reading the other posts, for you, if there is a price issue. Without general need for it then don't do it. If you do upgrade it seems like it would be better to upgrade via third party but then you would still be buying the stock hardrive and a third party one, which would not be cost efficient.

4. Puckman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the links, guys. That's exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for.

5. freitas macrumors member