HDD advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kimovski, Mar 2, 2012.

1. kimovski macrumors regular

Just recently purchased a crucial M4 128SSD and also a optibay kit.
    and i have two HDD which they are:
    Momentus ST9500325ASG (comes with the mpb)
    Western Digital WD5000BEVT

I want to put one of them on the optibay to storage my stuffs, like videos,documents etc..

Which one should i use in order to get better performance? :confused:

btw is a early2011 15' 2.0 mbp
    Thanks for the reply! :D

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

Store system files on the sad and other things you use frequently. everything else in the optibay

3. kimovski thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, my question seems confused you. I wanna ask which HDD should i use (on the optibay) to get better performance? momentus or the wd scorpio blue. :D

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

Ah!!! i understand what you meant now :) :). Based on personal exp., I would go with the Seagate, as I haven't had any problems. I had a couple WDs go bad in a row, and I stick to Seagate now. That's just personal preference though.

5. kimovski thread starter macrumors regular

6. BlueRaider macrumors regular

I've got a 256GB Crucial M4 in my Early 2011 15" MBP and an OWC Data Doubler with another 256GB Samsung 470 SSD in the optical bay. I originally purchased the Data Doubler to use with the 500GB 7200Rpm drive that came with my MBP. It worked BUT the battery usage was off the charts. I highly recommend that if your going with an Optibay to use another SSD in it. The combination of the quad-core processor (2.3Ghz) and SSD/HDD gave me about 2.5hrs before I was having to plug in for fear of going dead.

7. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I would run the one thats fastest. Is the seagate 7200rpm? I'll go with that.

8. kimovski thread starter macrumors regular

Will it drop to 2.5h? :eek:
    Currently im using hdd+hdd options, running on battery now it stands 6.5h on 95%, web surfing and listening to music.

Is the 5400rpm!

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There is no battery life advantage for a 2nd SSD.
    An HDD is actually better because it can spin down. SSD have only idle or active they save battery life when used. The don't really help save anything for a data drive. Nothing worth mentioning. 200-300mW maybe but what is that 5 min less battery life.

Don't get a 7200rpm drive stick with 5400rpm
    Because of http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14371616&postcount=9
    Everything else is just stupid. Too noisy and too expensive for no gain
    Put only videos/music/backups/images and such on it.
    Keep documents and most of the user folder on the ssd and everything else that fits and is often used.

Between the two of yours it really doesn't matter there will hardly be any noticeable difference. In my experience WD are less noise in seek mode. I would test both and stick with the one that makes less noise. Performance difference won't be noticeable in any case.

10. kimovski thread starter macrumors regular

thank you all for your advices, i will test both drives! :D