HDD and SSD for video editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerryj14, Apr 12, 2013.

1. jerryj14 macrumors newbie

Hello,

First of all, I am new to this whole industry. Please forgive my ignorance.

I am looking at replacing the optical drive in my MacBook Pro 13" with a Samsung 840 120GB SSD. I am getting into HD video editing and I want my system to run as fast as I can get it without having to buy a whole new computer.

So my question is this: would it be better to run my OS and editing applications on the SSD and leave my media on my HDD that has a rotational rate of 5400 or would it be better to move my media files to the SSD along with the OS and applications during editing?

Also, as a side question: is 120GB enough space to have both my OS and all my applications work well or should I go for a 200-250GB SSD?

2. ColdCase, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

There are a few levels of HD. If you are talking about pulling in HD video and then edit, a 60 minute video from a consumer class camera (some compression) is 15-20GB . HD video chews up storage space amazingly fast.

You need to worry about speed only if you are capturing from tape. Otherwise it is a digital world without time constraints until you get to the point of burning.

What most do is set up your video editing software scratch disk on the fastest drive you have and leave the media itself on drives with plenty of space. When you export the edited movie you will want to export to the fastest drive you have, and move the file later to high capacity storage or into a DVD project.

Each of the editing software packages have on line forums where setup tips are provided. Lots of variables and I'm sure I glossed over something important. But think in terms of work flow and how best to speed it up. You should also think about how you will be managing your raw video library. Many of the editing packages provide media management, some may like your source video files set up a certain way.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your questions are really too vague to provide any useful answers. Hard drive platter speed doesn't tell us the throughput of the drive. We can't tell you if 120GB is enough if we don't know exactly what you intend to use. Are you only loading editing apps or other apps as well?

4. jerryj14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for being vague,
    I intend to have the Adobe Production Suite, Office, several browsers, and a few other small apps. No games or anything like that though.

I don't know how to tell what the throughput of my is.

5. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

Don't get the 840 (non-pro) for video editing.
    It has a shelf life of 7 years if you are writing 10GB a day for the 256GB model. The shelf life of the 128GB is half of that.

Google Anandtech and other reviews.

For normal desktop use,you may never hit that limit.
    However, for video, you will definitely hit it. There is only so much re-writes you can do to the NAND before it is worn out.

I'm not saying it is bad. I have a few 256GB 840s but I would look for either an 830 or 840 PRO for your use case. For normal desktop use, a user may not never hit 10GB a day. I do by the mere fact, I'm synching and offloading large Virtual Machines. Video editing will eat more than that.