HDD and SSD help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagnumPal, May 4, 2012.

1. MagnumPal macrumors newbie

Hi there.
    I've got a Macbook Pro 13" i5 2011, and have recently bought a Intel 520 120 GB SSD. What I'm planning to do is:
    1. Insert SSD at HDD spot.
    2. Insert HDD at SuperDrive spot.
    3. Make SuperDrive a USB drive.
    It's not a problem to do that, it's more of a software problem afterwards. I want my OSX Lion & Applications to go to the SSD, and everything else (Doc's, Music ect.) to stay at the HDD. As i've got a snow leopard cd, i plan on installing SL on the SSD first, then upgrade to lion. But how do i make the applications move to the SSD afterwards, without losing serial numbers etc? When my SSD has got Lion and applications, i want to delete lion and applications from my HDD - can i do that without losing docs and music? I have a external harddisk that i could possibly use. Any tips please?

So:
    SSD with Lion + apps
    HDD with everything else
    Want to keep serial numbers, want to delete lion+apps from HDD afterwards.

Have a nice day,
    Magnus

2. harry454 macrumors 6502

The serial numbers depends on the software you want transferred. Easiest way is install lion fresh onto the SSD and reinstall the apps, that way you don't need to install it on the HDD as well. As well you shouldn't need to install SL first, try booting from the Lion disc or usb whatever you are using and see if it lets you install from there.

In terms of your other folders, all you have to do is create them on the HDD and make shortcuts to your hom folder that way its easy to access. As well point any apps that save stuff, ie. word, safari etc to the HDD folder.

3. MagnumPal thread starter macrumors newbie

Aw. I had really hoped there would be a way to copy app-data. Its a problem since i dont have Serial Numbers for my stuff..
    To format my hdd, would it be easiest to:
    1. Backup files i want to keep
    2. Format hdd to ????
    3. Transfer files back..
    Would that be the way? Do i format the hdd as mac os journaled or FAT32 or whatever? :)

Btw, cant boot into lion, since i dont have a usb/dvd large enough. But i have the SL-discs so its no problem :p

Magnus