HDD and SSD upgrade OWC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odin2free, Dec 8, 2011.

1. odin2free macrumors member

So im looking at getting an SSD for my late 2008 Macbook Pro...
    Went to OWC and saw i could get an SSD for pretty descent price..

Problem is when i asked the tech there he said that i would not be able to do an upgrade from my internal HDD to an 120Gb SSD because they do not have any support cloning software for the late 2008 macbook pro.

Im pretty positive on buying two ssd's one for my imac and one for my late macbook pro

Is is possible to use say Carbon Copy Cloner to have the hdd be cloned to the new ssd in the 2008 macbook pro
    Or would it not work because there is a specific program to use with
    the macbook pro (late 2008)

I will also be using the current 500Gb drive as my storage in teh optical bay
    while putting the ssd in the main drive area...
    along with getting an external optical enclosure so i can burn have it still to use instead of buying an external superdrive just get an external enclosure :)

Thanks hope i can get this replied to soon so i can order before next week :D

2. bestthereis27 macrumors member

This topic is similar to another gentleman to asked about upgrading a HDD to a bigger one. There are a few questions that you need to answer.

1. what version of OSX are you using? 10.5 or higher?
    2. How big is the drive you currently have?

If you have 10.5 or higher just use apples time machine. Do a entire system back up, install the SSD and restore the data to the New SSD.

If you have a 300Gb drive that is 80% full then getting a 120GB SSD wouldnt' work obviously.

I have an Intel 160SSD along with an optibay 500GB for data. Its awesome. Good luck.

3. odin2free thread starter macrumors member

It has 10.6.8
    and i believe a 500Gb Drive..
    Could i just use carbon copy cloner to just clone the drives
    The reason i think that OWC will not give you a clone kit for the drives is because they dont want to be held liable or even have the service because they dont want to get screwed over..makes sense though

I will deffinitly backup a ton
    Just pulled the trigger on getting some more memory for my imac...Im prob going to get the best deal on 16gb of mem or both a friends macbook pro 2011 and my imac to get tons of memory :)

Thanks